Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Router Problem....(AGAIN)...Default Gateway randomly goes offline

This is a discussion on Router Problem....(AGAIN)...Default Gateway randomly goes offline within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I believe i've posted this before in the wrong thread but 2nd time lucky eh? Hello again folks. Last time ...

Kaoscontrol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router Problem....(AGAIN)...Default Gateway randomly goes offline

I believe i've posted this before in the wrong thread but 2nd time lucky eh?

Hello again folks.

Last time i was here i had problems....and once again we have MORE PROBLEMS good fun eh?

Basicly, My router is once again being a pain in the rear end.

At completley random times according to my MSN it decides to turn the default gateway off, and the only way of solving this i have found is either

A)Waiting a long period of time
      B)Disconnecting from the router and reconnecting (this works very rarely though)
      C) Hitting the "Repair" button in the MSN connection test protocol about 500 times.even then sometimes it will say it has been repaired...you hit retry and it'll go back to the hazard symbol saying it is offline.

what happens though before it actually disconnects me from variouse website etc is, Messages on MSN refuse to be sent....they will sit on my screen then eventually the message "could not be sent" will appear, MSN will log me out and when trying to connect the trouble shoot button will appear, which then tells me "default gateway" is offline, Websites will refuse to load even after multipul refreshes. and so on!

its actually beginning to be a pain, as i have to restart my router many a time a day as Uploading + Downloading becomes annoyingly slow (my peak can get upto 450KB/S and when the gateway stops responding it drops to 0.1 - 0.3kb/s) Once restarted though everything will speed up once again. although when everything does not load there is still plenty of activity on the routers "wireless" and "Information" lights which are both flashing still.

on some occasions it can take a life time to even login to the router as the Username and password box don't appear despite hitting the enter key many a time.

One theory i do have though is, could it be to do with my phone Exchange?

Currently we are on the MAX sky package which is 15MB+ and our phone exchange i have found, can only handle 9MB maximum at current. so i'm wondering could it be we are trying to be sent too much data that is clogging up the Router making it have these hissie fits?!

We had absaloutly no problem like this with AOL, although another thought i'm having is,could it be AOL havent disconnected there line to us also?! because about 3 weeks ago we received a letter from AOL saying they would send Bailifs round if we did not pay within 10 days, as we had been using there service since april 13th (when we changed to Sky) to the current date.

if anyone has any information on this please please do let me know!

and as a note seen as i was asked last time, We do NOT own a master BT socket so using the "test socket" is unavaliable i'm afraid, and we are also not with BT for phone lines we are using the post office phone service.

i don't know if this has anything to do with one of the above topics about the router freezing but still

2. Advertisement
      dancingdog777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01425
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Router Problem....(AGAIN)...Default Gateway randomly goes offline

Mine's the same, it's just one of the joys of Sky Broadband. Hopefully, one of these days Al Queda will blow up the Sky server and all of our problems will be over because then they'll have to fit a new one (that works!).

RubberJohny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dudley (CMDD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dancingdog777 View Post
      Mine's the same, it's just one of the joys of Sky Broadband. Hopefully, one of these days Al Queda will blow up the Sky server and all of our problems will be over because then they'll have to fit a new one (that works!).
      HAHAH best comment for a while

PSN ID: BlacksiteUK

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have been provided with a MAX connection by Sky, then I doubt if the exchange has anything to do with it. Exchanges usually are equiped for 1,2 or 8 Mb connections, 'Sky enabled' raises this to 16 Mb. I have never heard of a 9 Mb connection. Are you sure you were not told this is the maximum your line would support?

The fact that you are using PO Home Phone, makes no difference, you still have a BT line.

With regard to AOL, I imagine you were on a 1 or 2 MB service, this does not strain the line as much as an ADSL2 connection, so any faults in your external line or internal wiring are accentuated. Incidentally, you should have given AOL notice that you were leaving, getting a MAC does not constitute notice. They may be within their rights to charge you even if they have not supplied. If you are receiving your connection through the Sky router, then AOL are not connecting you.

If you obtain your username/password from the Sky router and put them into the one you used with AOL, you can check if the router is at fault. This is against the T & Cs, but it is the only way to check the router. You should obtain your detailed stats from the Sky router and post them, someone may be able to help.

You do say you do not have a master socket, but do you have extensions? If you don't have extensions plugging in to a test socket would make little or no difference. If you do have extensions, these can degrade your connection quite considerably, then you may like to consider fitting your own master socket. This cannot be done by replacing your existing main socket, which is the supplier's property, but there is nothing to stop you fitting one next to it on the consumer side.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

trip121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have exactly the same problem!!

After about 10 or so minutes my connection freezes. My Computer says that the wireless connection is still active however my internet does not work..
      I have phoned up Sky about this problem, and they keep on telling me that it is a problem with my computer...Which I assured them it is not. However they cannot pass me on to someone who knows what they are actually talking about OR give me further support because I have not brought their own wireless products for my PC.

I know this will not sort out the problem, and I have a little bit of a problem spending money on goods which are going to be completly useless..

I have done a bit of research into my exchange and I know it can support ADSL2 and has had no service blackouts. So at the moment it seems like I am stuck constantly restarting my router everytime it goes down untill I go out and buy a new router.
      Im sure you can all understand that this now makes it impossible to download anything.

Please if any of you know how to resolve the issue, or some magic word to say to Sky (i dunno..maybe open sesimie??) to give me further support in my issue, please PM me or reply in this forum and i will be eternally greatfull

Thanks

You should really have started your own thread, that way you are likely to get more replies.

The first thing you must try is turn off UPnP. To do this enter your router set up, scroll to the bottom of the lefthand list, click UPnP. When the new page opens, untick 'Turn UPnP on '. Try this and post back.
      Last edited by Isitme; 10-08-07 at 01:46 PM. Reason: correction

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dancingdog777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01425
      Thanks

Writing here only because it's topical. For the past 8 months I have had exactly the same problem as Trip, only I have the standard wifi router supplied to me by Sky. I have followed all the tips on this forum including turning off UPnP, running TCP Organiser, using Mognuts tweak page and running the Bounce Sky Router. NOTHING has changed! It still keeps on freezing (connected by ethernet cable).
      BT have been round and inspected everything, and Sky themselves are useless, even tier 3.
      Short of making an official complaint to OFCOM I cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Did you try anothe PC on the connection.

Windows set up (incl vista) are very unique and conflicts can happen very easily.

Fault analysis is about proving what it isn't as opposed to proving what it is.

To prove that it is definitely a sky fault and therefore reportable to OFCOM, you need to prove that it isn't your fault by connecting another PC that currently has a perfect connection to Sky on the same exchange. Without doing that, there is a high probability that it is still a problem at your end.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You should really have started your own thread, that way you are likely to get more replies.

The first thing you must try is turn off UPnP. To do this enter your router set up, scroll to the bottom of the lefthand list, click UPnP. When the new page opens, untick 'Turn UPnP on '. Try this and post back.
      Here's a tutorial

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tools/HowTo...rSkyRouter.pdf

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

@Dancingdog777
      What happened to the Thomson Speedtouch you were using, is it any better?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast