Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router Problem (AGAIN) Default Gateway randomly goes "offline"

This is a discussion on Router Problem (AGAIN) Default Gateway randomly goes "offline" within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello again folks. Last time i was here i had problems....and once again we have MORE PROBLEMS good fun eh? ...

Kaoscontrol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router Problem (AGAIN) Default Gateway randomly goes "offline"

Hello again folks.

Last time i was here i had problems....and once again we have MORE PROBLEMS good fun eh?

Basicly, My router is once again being a pain in the rear end.

At completley random times according to my MSN it decides to turn the default gateway off, and the only way of solving this i have found is either

A)Waiting a long period of time
      B)Disconnecting from the router and reconnecting (this works very rarely though)
      C) Hitting the "Repair" button in the MSN connection test protocol about 500 times.even then sometimes it will say it has been repaired...you hit retry and it'll go back to the hazard symbol saying it is offline.

what happens though before it actually disconnects me from variouse website etc is, Messages on MSN refuse to be sent....they will sit on my screen then eventually the message "could not be sent" will appear, MSN will log me out and when trying to connect the trouble shoot button will appear, which then tells me "default gateway" is offline, Websites will refuse to load even after multipul refreshes. and so on!

its actually beginning to be a pain, as i have to restart my router many a time a day as Uploading + Downloading becomes annoyingly slow (my peak can get upto 450KB/S and when the gateway stops responding it drops to 0.1 - 0.3kb/s) Once restarted though everything will speed up once again. although when everything does not load there is still plenty of activity on the routers "wireless" and "Information" lights which are both flashing still.

on some occasions it can take a life time to even login to the router as the Username and password box don't appear despite hitting the enter key many a time.

One theory i do have though is, could it be to do with my phone Exchange?

Currently we are on the MAX sky package which is 15MB+ and our phone exchange i have found, can only handle 9MB maximum at current. so i'm wondering could it be we are trying to be sent too much data that is clogging up the Router making it have these hissie fits?!

We had absaloutly no problem like this with AOL, although another thought i'm having is,could it be AOL havent disconnected there line to us also?! because about 3 weeks ago we received a letter from AOL saying they would send Bailifs round if we did not pay within 10 days, as we had been using there service since april 13th (when we changed to Sky) to the current date.

if anyone has any information on this please please do let me know!

and as a note seen as i was asked last time, We do NOT own a master BT socket so using the "test socket" is unavaliable i'm afraid, and we are also not with BT for phone lines we are using the post office phone service.

many thanks once again people.

2. Advertisement
      Kaoscontrol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Router Problem (AGAIN) Default Gateway randomly goes "offline"

oh and as another note.

in some cases with websites not loading, one cure i have is clicking the [X] and shutting down the window, which then changes the mouse pointer into the Egg timer......and after that websites are back working again.

very odd.