Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

whos useing windows vista?

This is a discussion on whos useing windows vista? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; whos useing vista if so which one and whos try messing with it to tune downloads this is just to ...

petermk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: burslam
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: sky +hd
      Thanks

whos useing windows vista?

whos useing vista if so which one and whos try messing with it to tune downloads this is just to see whos useing and whos tryed to tweak that side off it and did it work ?
      Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6850,Asus Maximus Formula Intel X38 Thermaltake ToughPower 1200W Modular Power SupplyPSU,
      GeIL 4GB (4x1GB) PC8500C5 1066MHz Black Dragon DDR2 Dual Channel Kit, 750GB X 2 SATA2 RAID 0 HDDs, DVD-Writer, BFG GeForce 295 GTX HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express, XFI 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN,
      Connected @ 15.7mbit on SkyMAX
      O.S WINDOWS 7 32.BIT

2. Advertisement
      Ian83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Larklane Liverpool
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: whos useing windows vista?

I use vista, I havent tweaked anything because I havent needed too, I always get full speed. Are you having trouble with speeds because of vista? I'm on home premium btw.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I also use Vista Home Premium, wired but have had it running wireless and have had no problems. You may find that enabling UPnP improves you connection if your using P2P or suchlike. Although most seem to find it causes problems, I have had none.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

no probs, here i am useing vista ultimate i have been beta tester for this for 3 yrs now and just nosey to problems some been haveing with speeds on this so thought i would post to see what comes up and if i can help offer some info as to how vista works there are some Hot fixs about that are not know to help with speed problems
      Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6850,Asus Maximus Formula Intel X38 Thermaltake ToughPower 1200W Modular Power SupplyPSU,
      GeIL 4GB (4x1GB) PC8500C5 1066MHz Black Dragon DDR2 Dual Channel Kit, 750GB X 2 SATA2 RAID 0 HDDs, DVD-Writer, BFG GeForce 295 GTX HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express, XFI 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN,
      O.S WINDOWS 7 32.BIT

iangilf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kent
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

my bro in law uses vista home premium and he has problems his downloads start at 400 500 then goes down to about 100 and floats about there on bittorents when he uses his winxp machine he gets full speed hes tried the patches that u get to open up more connections but still has no joy both machines are wireless laptops 1x winxp 1x win vista home premium
      any ideas ?

Sky_Surfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Using Vista home premium too and have no problems. I have read of someone having similar problems and they finally fixed it by checking their update history and found that doing a roll back on their NIC driver fixed it.

if its utorrent you are using you could try the following.

In utorrent, go to Options -> Preferences -> Advanced. The second option under Advanced is ‘net.bind_ip’. Set this to the IP address of your computer. Restart utorrent.

Thanks

this may help with vista
      Network Settings

Networking in Vista is vastly improved over XP. In fact Vista actually tweaks it's own network settings on the fly!

(see: TCP Receive Window Auto-Tuning, Network Diagnostics Framework in Windows Vista, Advances in Windows Vista TCP/IP)

For me, my benchmarks have shown that Vista out-of-the-box is equally as fast as XP and Linux that have been tweaked. To date I've not found a single tweak for Vista that speeds up actual networking or downloading from the net.

So why tweak it? The tweaks here are designed to cut down on network chatter and to secure your box

Let me make this clear though, I've seen no network performance improvement using these tweaks and I do not believe any home users will. These settings do not cover Services, for those see the Services . look at this site will explain .http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...y/default.aspx
      Last edited by petermk; 06-08-07 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added worng bits
      O.S WINDOWS 7 32.BIT

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Its not possible to tweak the MTU/RWIN settings in Vista as they are dynamic settings that change according to your connection.
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...