Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Router freezing

This is a discussion on Sky Router freezing within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been having a problem with by broadband for quite some time now and I have come to the ...

NewDigger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Router freezing

I have been having a problem with by broadband for quite some time now and I have come to the conclusion that my router is the problem, and as a result have managed after weeks of trying to get Sky to finally put a new one in the post.

My router seems to freeze completely randomly, by this I mean it just suddenly 'ignores' all network and internet traffic. None of my network computers can access the internet, both wireless and wired, and they can't communicate to each other meaning I can't get to any shared folders.

The only way for me to solve this is to unplug the router from the power, and wait, then plug it back in again.

Would I be right to think that the supplied router is the source of my troubles? Thanks for any replies in advance.

2. Advertisement
      stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Router freezing

The router could very well be the problem.

Have you got the router stood sideways up on its little plastic clips?

Try turning upnp off

NewDigger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep, I have the router on its side using the clips. I didn't for a day or two at first, until I noticed it became very hot.

I hate to say it but I am reluctant to turn UPnP off, since if that is the cause of all this I have the intention of giving Sky hell for supplying equipment that doesn't work.

Plus if I turned UPnP off I'd have to configure the ports for everything manually wouldn't I?
      Last edited by NewDigger; 04-08-07 at 09:36 PM.

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You can simply try turning upnp off and see if that solves it. If it turns out to work at least you know where the problem lies. Yes, you would have to manually forward the ports required. You should only need to forward a few ports even if you find it to be the problem and leave it turned off.

Then again it may not change a single thing, but at least you are gathering more info as you go.

Another option could be to flash the router with netgears firmware which I find much better

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewDigger View Post
      Yep, I have the router on its side using the clips. I didn't for a day or two at first, until I noticed it became very hot.

I hate to say it but I am reluctant to turn UPnP off, since if that is the cause of all this I have the intention of giving Sky hell for supplying equipment that doesn't work.

Plus if I turned UPnP off I'd have to configure the ports for everything manually wouldn't I?
      uPNP has a definate bug in the firmware, it caused me similar problems to you and is well documented across the forum that many people have suffered with the same problem. Its possible it will be fixed when Sky eventually release a firmware upgrade. Turning it off hasn't caused me any major issues. Other causes of this type of problem can be exessive line errors often caused by dodgy extension wiring, that can be proved by plugged the router into the test socket behind the face plate of your master socket. The will disconnect all extension wiring.