Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Faulty router?

This is a discussion on Faulty router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi folks My activation date was Monday 11th September, and quite unusually I received my router in time and BT ...

noceross is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sittingbourne
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Faulty router?

Hi folks

My activation date was Monday 11th September, and quite unusually I received my router in time and BT.com confirmed the necessary work had been carried out on the line on that date, so I firmly believed that against all odds I would be online on the correct day.

However that proved not to be the case. I set up the router as required, Ethernet cable into the PC etc. All lights seemed to come on as suggested in the booklet. So I loaded the Sky disk which went through the various fancy clips showing me again how to connect the equipment. However, after the software installation (I skipped installing McAfee for now) it said “Testing Connection” and after some delay came back telling me something along the lines of “Hmmmm, you’re not quite ready to go online yet”) Very helpful!

I called Sky, and after 20 minutes of going through the usual rigmarole of checking everything was plugged in, restarting the router, restarting the PC etc (presumably with an Indian based call-centre and a guy that was reading from a script he seemed not to understand) they came to the conclusion that my router is faulty. I asked to speak to someone else and got transferred somewhere which sounded closer to home, but the guy reiterated that they’d have to replace the router, and it could be 7-10 days before I receive a replacement.

Admittedly I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to networks and routers, but I was concerned that they were using this as an easy way to get me off the phone, and I fully expect to get another router and have the same problem. The chap at Sky did get me to type in an IP address in Internet Explorer which he said should’ve logged me into the router, but this didn’t work (told me I was working offline etc).

Does this point towards a problem with the router, or could it also be something to do with my Windows settings. He ensured that the internet connection settings were set as “do not dial a connection” which he said should’ve been all that was required?

Does anyone have any ideas or should I just trust in Sky’s judgement (which having read the posts on here I am loathed to do!)

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      have you tried disabling all your firewalls to see what happens..?
      "To help would be a great adventure"

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      my router is most probably faulty as well as it only holds the connection for a few minutes. i've asked for a replacement and one is supposedly being sent within the next 3/5 working days

ps i don't have a propriety firewall (just use the XP one) this should not cause problems with any router - if it does they shouldn't be selling the router. but yes, if you are using something like zonealarm and have not set it up correctly it can cause problems.
      Last edited by dingdong; 12-09-06 at 02:29 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi SatDish and thanks for the quick reply.

The only firewall I use is the Windows XP one, which the Sky chap made sure I deactivated first before trying to log-in to the router. So I guess we can rule that out.

Am I right in thinking that actual settings within Windows play a very small part in this, it should just be using the simple LAN from my ethernet to the router and creating an internet connection via this?

Any further help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

many thanks

Ryan

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      you need to make sure your local area card is configured to get it's ip address from the router (or it won't connect) go to Start > Connect To > Show All connections. Then double click on your lan connection (which should be showing as enabled by the way) . In the box showing what items are used, highlight the Internet / Protocol and click Properties make sure on both tabs that you have selected automatic

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Dingdong, I'll double check that when i get home from work later. It does sound familiar in that I think the Sky guy got me to check that part over the phone but I can't be completely sure so I will double check.

I know that my Ethernet connection on the PC works fine, as I use it to share my previous internet connection with my Xbox Live - so I'm glad that's at least one thing I can eliminate from being the source of the problem.

Whilst there is every chance that it's a faulty router after all, I think I'd kick myself if I sit here waiting for a week or more for the new one to turn up when the problem could be something else.

Thanks for the help so far guys, much appreciated.

Cheers
      Ryan

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      RE: I know that my Ethernet connection on the PC works fine, as I use it to share my previous internet connection with my Xbox Live - so I'm glad that's at least one thing I can eliminate from being the source of the problem.

maybe that is the cause of the problem if you have specified an ip address to connect to your xbox

one other thing - sky have probably ordered thousands of these things ( they are made in China) mine certainly did not have a QC sticker on it. - so i suspect all the normall faulty ones got batched up with the good ones as no testing seems to have been done. They are just leaving it up to the users to weed out the faulty ones i think
      Last edited by dingdong; 12-09-06 at 03:16 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, I've just got in, fired up the PC and looked at those Internet/Protocol settings, they were not set as "automatic" and I remember the guy talking me through manually entering an IP address in there. So I've instead set them to obtain IP address and DNS server automatically and guess what? Yep, I'm online and it's all working fine, getting the speeds I was expecting.

It kinda makes you wonder, they were so keen to just put it down to a faulty router and make me wait for a new one, when it really was a simple Windows setting which they just didn't check. I guess agreeing to send another router is the easy way to deal with the call!

So I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for helping me.

Cheers

Ryan