Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Newbie with connection question

This is a discussion on Newbie with connection question within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, My current set-up involves Tiscali Broadband connected to an old fashioned wired ADSL modem (not wireless). This is ...

Steven633 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Newbie with connection question

Hi guys,

My current set-up involves Tiscali Broadband connected to an old fashioned wired ADSL modem (not wireless). This is connected to my Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop, there is no wireless capabilty built in to the desk top. I have recently bought my self a Dell XPS laptop with Vista and have set up a simple home network with a cable running to my desk top which gives net access on the laptop.

Now, I have just obtained MAC code from Tiscali and ordered Sky connect 8 meg with 40 gig limit, together with free wireless router.

My question is, what is best way to connect these babies together ?

TBH I would be happy with a wired connection to desk top and a wireless connection to laptop. Will the router I am going to get allow a wired connection to the desk top, or will I need to go wireless,if so what hardware would I need for that, how much would it cost and where best to buy from.....

Steve

2. Advertisement
      allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Newbie with connection question

Quote Originally Posted by Steven633 View Post
      Hi guys,

My current set-up involves Tiscali Broadband connected to an old fashioned wired ADSL modem (not wireless). This is connected to my Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop, there is no wireless capabilty built in to the desk top. I have recently bought my self a Dell XPS laptop with Vista and have set up a simple home network with a cable running to my desk top which gives net access on the laptop.

Now, I have just obtained MAC code from Tiscali and ordered Sky connect 8 meg with 40 gig limit, together with free wireless router.

My question is, what is best way to connect these babies together ?

TBH I would be happy with a wired connection to desk top and a wireless connection to laptop. Will the router I am going to get allow a wired connection to the desk top, or will I need to go wireless,if so what hardware would I need for that, how much would it cost and where best to buy from.....

Steve
      The Sky Netgear router has four ethernet ports as well as wireless capacity so you can continue to connect by wire if you want (good idea in my view).

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just been checking out GT111T USB receivers on Ebay, looks like they go for 15-20. What are the benefits of using an Ethernet cable - Speed? Security?

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The Sky wireless security is sound as I understand it but the wireless range is poor which often results in an unstable connection and loss of speed. There's a lot of posts here about these issues and general view seems to be that if you have the option a wired connection is best.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many people claim to get a faster more reliable connection via wired connecton. Wireless speed drops the further away you are from the router and the thicker the walls are in your house. Sky router comes set up for WPA wireless sercurity by default so that shouldn't be a problem. You can increase sercurity by switching on MAC filtering as well.
      I have not had any probs with wireless but I am only ever one room away from the router.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers guys