Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Replacement router???

This is a discussion on Replacement router??? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I currently have 2 sockets in my apartment, the master in the hallway with a extension running into another socket ...

THUGGEDOUT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLOUGH/LANGLEY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:

Replacement router???

I currently have 2 sockets in my apartment, the master in the hallway with a extension running into another socket in the living room which I have my router plugged into. I have been active with Sky BB (Connect) since the 11th of this month and have had problems with not having internet connections, with the most recent being a problem at the exchange. I recently spoke to technical support when I wasn't getting connected and they asked me to check if I had a ringtone, which after picking up the phone there was not one.

I then unplugged the extension out of the master socket and plugged it back in and then I got a ringtone. I was escalated to tier 2 and after they ran line tests they called me back and told me that the problem is my router and that they will be sending me out another one. Since yesterday, the router has been fine as I have been getting a solid connection with good speed and was wondering if in fact it actually is the router at fault?

Could it be that the extension from the master socket is faulty? I usually take the router off every night but have been keeping it on all the time, is that better to do?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Replacement router???

There is every chance that the router is OK and the problem is with the extension. Sending out a new router seems to be Sky CS's standard reply when the can't find out what is wrong. From what you say it is the 'plug in' type and these are known to cause problems. If at all possible you should plug the router into the Master socket. If this is not possible, a hardwired extension is much better than the plug in type. If hardwiring is also out of the question, then you should replace the extension with a high quality one. If you can find a route for it, using a long ethernet cable from the router plugged in to the Master socket, is another solution. Cat5e or 6 has a maximum usable length of about 100 metres, so it can be routed where ever you want.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:

Re: Replacement router???

You mean to say that Tier 1 haven't asked you to try using your master / test socket (i.e. remove the extension cable) at all?

This should be one of the first things they have you try.