Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Vista Wireless and Sky Netgear Router AGONY!

This is a discussion on Vista Wireless and Sky Netgear Router AGONY! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I am pulling my hair out trying to make the Router work with Windows Vista wirelessly. I currently have ...

hellfire18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GARFORTH
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Vista Wireless and Sky Netgear Router AGONY!

Hi,

I am pulling my hair out trying to make the Router work with Windows Vista wirelessly.

I currently have Vista working perfect via ethernet with the Sky Router and have everything setup as I like.

Last night I installed a Wireless PCI 802.11 a/b/g card into my PC and made sure that the Sky Router was broadcasting it's SSID name and that it would automatically allow new wireless connections should the correct WPA key be supplied.

I then began setting up the wireless connection with the built in Vista wireless network wizard. This is where I run into problems...

The drivers are installed fine, the card is fully operational, it can even find the Router that is broadcasting and connect to it, however it always seems to say "limited connectivity", and I cannot go online.

The problem gets more irritating as I cannot enter the router page to see what is wrong as it times out.

As soon as I reconnect the ethernet RJ45 cable everything works like normal, and if I remove it, the connection stops again.

I have tried removing the WIRED Ethernet PCi Card and deleting it from the system through device manager, but this doesn't seem to work either.

I have also attempted to both statically assign IP addresses, aswell as dynamically assign them. I also double checked to make sure the IPv6 connectivity service was enabled in the Services part of the computer management.

What can I do to make it connect wirelessly?

I have input the correct SSID, it finds the device and connects to it but I can't go online without reconnecting it wired. I have even tried rebooting the router and setting it back to default, but alas even this doesn't work.

The only problem I can think of is that the drivers are only certified up to XP, however I didn't even get a prompt about driver signing when installing the card and it seems to be fully operational???

Someone help me with this mystery!!

Thanks, Chris.

EDIT

Just to add, my Xbox 360 connects wirelessly absolutely no problems using the MS USB Wireless Adaptor and has an OPEN connection so everything is obviously fine. Does this narrow the problem down to Vista? Unless anyone has any suggestions I am going to re-install Windows XP tonight on this PC and see if it works then.
      Last edited by hellfire18; 24-07-07 at 12:51 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Vista Wireless and Sky Netgear Router AGONY!

Try turning uPNP off in the router menu, its a bit of a stab in the dark but it's a know bug which can cause stange problems.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I found this piece by Cable Guy very useful when I set up Vista for wireless. I don't use it now, as I am close enough for ethernet. Many find that it works perfect first time but even more end up with a head like Homer S.

Try turning off the fire wall, it may be blocking the connection without telling you. Also try turning off the security in the router, although this is unlikely to be the cause, as Vista is set up to make it difficult to connect to a non-secure network.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'll the uPnP when I get home.

I've tried turning off the firewall but that made no difference, and i've also tried turning off the security on the router.

I have also followed the setup as used by Cable Guy but it didn't work for me???

I am really thinking of a fresh install and starting over with XP, but this time completely removing the Wired setup and see if it works that way.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

well my advice, seeing as your going wireless using vista, is to uninstall Vista, re-install XP, take a match, and set fire to the Vista Install Disc

I personally feel there is an issue with Vista and Wireless. I got connected for 2 weeks, then my pc couldnt see my network, but we could see it on 4 other wireless devices.

but I use cable now, so its all good.

Come to think of it, If your using Norton Security Centre, It has been known to block wireless access, even with the firewall at off. I'd possible try uninstalling that, but installing AVG in its place, just for the meantime. If it fixes it, then its Norton, which should be banished to the depths of satans ..... well, its a family forum so i'll stop it there

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Having read even more into this, it could be that the PCI Wireless card I have may not be compatible with my Router, either this or I am sure the drivers could be at fault.

Either way, I am going to Nuke my PC in the morning and put XP on instead of Vista and try it then, I will also reset the router tonight so everything is "fresh" for tomorrow.

I'll let you know how I go on.

Sky_Surfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

for wireless with vista you need to open network & sharing center make sure the network is set to private to be able to connect to the net also check that you have added your PC in the wireless station access list in the netgear router settings. If those are set correctly and you are still having problems it could be a ip conflict or failing that sorry I'm out of ideas!

Good luck

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It worked.

Thanks for all the above suggestions but it appears in the end the problem was probably with the Drivers in Windows Vista (nothing new there).

I did a much needed fresh install of XP SP2 yesterday and it works flawlessly. The only thing I changed on the Router, was to reset it, give it a new SSID and change the WPA key & set it to "Auto" instead of G & B" (my new Laptop supports 802.11n, and I hope the Router does as well, not that it makes that much difference as the Internet is only capable of 4000kbps).

I left the channel as number 6. I am sure that none of the above changes are needed as it connected with just the Router's default settings, but I fancied changing them for security.

For info purposes, I have fitted a Marvell Libertas 802.11b/g PCI Card.

Many Thanks, Chris.

puretoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEGF
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Thanks

On reading your thread on Vista & wirelss etc hellfire18, I can't honestly say I'm surprised at all of this happening as Microsoft seem to have the knack of pushing software out that doesn't work properly. It's not fair on new users who don't know much or anything about pc's.

I've got to congratulate you though, on managing to to sort it out-well done.

You can't whack a bit of XP!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Microsoft seem to have the knack of pushing software out that doesn't work properly. It's not fair on new users who don't know much or anything about pc's

To be fair, it is the hardware vendor's software that does not work, not Microsoft's. They have had over a year to produce stable drivers and many have not yet done so.