Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear wg111v2 Sky router DG834GT compatible?

This is a discussion on Netgear wg111v2 Sky router DG834GT compatible? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all, Has anyone recently has a sky broadband router DG834GT and connected it to a Windows 2000 or Vista ...

jotoole2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01634
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Netgear wg111v2 Sky router DG834GT compatible?

Hello all,

Has anyone recently has a sky broadband router DG834GT and connected it to a Windows 2000 or Vista PC with a USB connect WG111v2 wireless card.

My laptop connects no problem which has an inbuilt wireless 2915AB card.

My windows 2000 and vista PCs will not connect to the internet via a wg111v2 card. Sometimes they have connected to the router but not the internet. I have tried the latest and previous drivers from the netgear website to no avail.

I tried lots of options and evenutally used the cable via the network port on the router and PC and it connected to the internet no problem. So that must mean the internet explorer/firewall settings and so on are correct on the PCs.

I have an DG834G router and could not get that to connect to SKY.

I have tried WEP, WPA, changed passwords and so on. Surfed the net and this forum and found lots of references but no pure solution.

I could get a newer wireless USB card, but I do not want to spend the money for it not to work. Would rather not have the hassle of taking it back to the shop and so on.

I did try restoring the Sky DG834GT config restored onto my old DG834G but that would not connect to Sky broadband.

I would really appreciate any help with this one, I have spent quite a bit of time and this and am really getting frustrated by it all.

Best regards,

James

2. Advertisement
      ratanw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAR
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Netgear wg111v2 Sky router DG834GT compatible?

It sounds like a purely wireless connection problem.

Have you tried connecting with the encryption turned off? Is the signal strength OK? Other thing to check is the channel number setting on the PC.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The wg111v2 card will not connect with no security. I would say it was the router but my laptop connects fine...

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Try changing the RF channel on the router, they all seem to be set to 6, and this wouldn't work until I changed it, to 10 in my case.
      I'd reset the router back to its defaults, then change the channel.

You won't be able to use another router unless you extract the sky username and password from the Sky router. You can use Mognuts or Mossywell to do this.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You say the the WG111 adapter connects to the Sky router occasionally (presumably to the user interface) but not to the internet.

Does it connect to the non-Sky router's user interface reliably ?

If it connects to the non-Sky reliably but not to the Sky, have a look at the settings in the Sky unit.

If the laptop connects to both routers reliably, have a look at the settings in the WG111. Specifically, Netgear recommend disabling Windows Zero Config --which in layman's terms one might call the Windows Connect To, Let Windows Manage This Connection option. Personally I prefer the Netgear utilities, but it may be worth experimenting with both.

I would also disable all wireless encryption and firewalls temporarily while you experiment.

It has to be said that the three USB wireless adapters I've tried were pretty poor -- greatly outperformed by even the cheapest, oldest, PCI card.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks all, I am away for the weekend and will give it a go Sunday evening etc.

Thanks for the posts.

It would be good to know if someone has connected to a sky badged DG834GT with either a wg111v2 or wg121 netgear hardware.

As my laptop works fine I am thinking of trying a new card.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I use the WG111v2 in my laptop with the Sky router -- don't like it much but it's not the worst USB you could buy.

In desktop machines I use a Netgear WG311 PCI and an ancient ADMtek 11b PCI -- both are much better than the WG111.

WG121 is a RangeMax -- and may work optimally with a RangeMax router.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Netgear wg111v2 Sky router DG834GT compatible?

All working.

I had changed it to WEP with no joy.

Config all working.

WEP and channel 10 not 6 which it was on delivery.

WG111v2 I used the netgear site support download version v 3.2.0 NOT THE LATEST VERSION I COULD NOT GET THAT TO WORK - SO BE WARNED.

For my Vista PC I purchased a Netgear WG311TGE from PcWorld - ordered it online for store pickup and saved 13... shop prive 39 - order online 26. Took recommendation on this post to use PCI rather than USB. Stuck this puppy and connected no problem.

Soooooo, all the hassle probably due to version and I would say I am dubious whether the channel setting also contributed.

I cannot blame the sky badged router dg834gt which I was starting to get real frustrated with.

Now my vista PC connected can start some serious online gaming.

Regards,

James