Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why do I have to keep re-booting my router

This is a discussion on Why do I have to keep re-booting my router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have had Sky BB max for about a week now I am happy with the connection speed when it ...

tarathedog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Why do I have to keep re-booting my router

I have had Sky BB max for about a week now I am happy with the connection speed when it is working. BUT!! its great for a while, then it slows down and grinds to a halt and the page I am navigating to can not be displayed. I have 4 PCs hard wired to the router and one using the wireless it happens to all of them at the same time but the deline in speed my be different on each one as the connection slows down. It can happen any time of the day but it appears to happen at off peak time more often like, 02.00 in the morning. When it happens the router lights are all green but there is no signs of data transfere, ie no flashing lights.
      When I have gone into the router setting the router tells me it is still connected.
      So every time this has happened i have pulled the power cord out or the back of the router waited 10-20 sec and put it back in again. Once the router has settled down and syncronised everything is back upto speed!! I don't mind doing this occasionally to reset but when I have to do it several times an evening it is unacceptable especillay when 4 members of the family play online games.

So my deductions are that the router is the problem, which is backed up by several posts on this site

Any one any ideas I have unchecked UPnPS and set speed selection and tried both select Auto 108 or b & g, this does not seem to help.

I think I'll go back to my trusty old Origo 8400 (Thanks to this site i've found my Username and Password)

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Why do I have to keep re-booting my router

Post your stats using this utility and we wil try and help
      Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Why do I have to keep re-booting my router

Hi dholdi
      I will post my stats in the next day or so.

I've just conneceted my old origo cable router and seem to have a solid connection for all 5 of my pc.(4 on LAN & 1 on usb).

I am a bit loathed to change back tonight every thing is working fine. I will have to in a day or so cos I'm buying a laptop soon so need the WIFI connection

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Only detailed router stats will reveal whats going on.

destructor1972 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To put it midly, the Router is Cr*p!! Poor internal build quality and lack of shielding is generating too much noise. When you add that to noise already on your line, your netgear box throws a hissy causing the SNR to drop way too low & your connection drops

To put it in the most simplest term, whenever you unplug (or reboot) the Router, all power is discharged from the circuits, ect thus resetting it & returning it to it's original operating state. Heat and the Electrical current to the router build up over a short time causing power leaks / spikes / general bad stuff, thus messing with the SNR and causing the connection to drop!

The tech heads can go into greater detail (if ya need it) but it's the same with most electrical products.. if you want quality, then you've gotta pay.

Seems to be a very "hit" and "miss" affair with the Sky Routers though.. This is easily shown by checking out other forum threads.
      When I had my Old (2months old) Router plugged in before changing to Sky, it had a SNR of 8.5 & Line Atten of 15.1.. fluctuating by 0.1+/- (over the 2months).
      Now with the Sky router plugged in, SNR fluctuates from 3.1 to 21 and the Line Atten. ranges from 15.1 to 51.9 and that's only been in the past week!!

This is only my opinion mind as to what's causing your problems and others are gonna disagree, so really it's down to what you want to believe

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by destructor1972 View Post
      To put it midly, the Router is Cr*p!! Poor internal build quality and lack of shielding is generating too much noise. When you add that to noise already on your line, your netgear box throws a hissy causing the SNR to drop way too low & your connection drops

To put it in the most simplest term, whenever you unplug (or reboot) the Router, all power is discharged from the circuits, ect thus resetting it & returning it to it's original operating state. Heat and the Electrical current to the router build up over a short time causing power leaks / spikes / general bad stuff, thus messing with the SNR and causing the connection to drop!

The tech heads can go into greater detail (if ya need it) but it's the same with most electrical products.. if you want quality, then you've gotta pay.

Seems to be a very "hit" and "miss" affair with the Sky Routers though.. This is easily shown by checking out other forum threads.
      When I had my Old (2months old) Router plugged in before changing to Sky, it had a SNR of 8.5 & Line Atten of 15.1.. fluctuating by 0.1+/- (over the 2months).
      Now with the Sky router plugged in, SNR fluctuates from 3.1 to 21 and the Line Atten. ranges from 15.1 to 51.9 and that's only been in the past week!!

This is only my opinion mind as to what's causing your problems and others are gonna disagree, so really it's down to what you want to believe
      Oh I see it all makes sense now, that will explain why my Sky router has run perfectly for the last 6 month's, maintained a constant 8mb connection and not disconnected once.

destructor1972 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's why i put the above comment in!! Different batches of internal components can impact quite heavily on whether you get a good or bad product.

Think yourself lucky that you got a decent product.. others haven't & rely on information from others to try and pinpoint the problem.

Now read more into the 1st post and you'll see the user also has the same problems.. stable with their original router, unstable with the Sky one..

As you can see here, doesn't take a genius to work out what's causing mine and tarathedogs' connection issues!!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you checked your detailed stats? I had the same problem when I first joined Sky and was convinced it was there crap router or Sky's dodgy service. But actually turned out to be very high line errors caused by my dodgy extension wiring. Fixed the problem and everything has been fine since. I blamed Sky because I never had any problems with my previous BT broadband.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Perhaps your line needs capping. I was suffering the same after moving over to MId but after an email to Sky they capped my line and my problems have all disapeared.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well i've gone back to the netgear router for my new laptop so that i can use the wireless facility.
      The router drops the connection 5 or 6 times a day and all pcs cannot display page.
      So here are my stats can any one help.

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7006 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 6.9 12.5
      Attn(dB): 37.0 21.2
      Pwr(dBm): 1.3 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 7128 864
      Rate (Kbps): 7006 764