Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Increase signal strength

This is a discussion on Increase signal strength within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Does anyone know what would be the best option to increase the range/signal strength on the Sky Router. I've posted ...

botty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Increase signal strength

Does anyone know what would be the best option to increase the range/signal strength on the Sky Router. I've posted on here recently about the problems that I've had since moving from BT to Sky, and my particular problem is that in area's where I had no problems using wireless, now it is either very slow or unusable. My Wife used to be able to happily surf away whilst sat in bed, however now it's a non-starter in the same bedroom. I've moved the router about 6 feet nearer to the room than the BT one was, but still the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      lopster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bridgeton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Increase signal strength

Quote Originally Posted by botty View Post
      Does anyone know what would be the best option to increase the range/signal strength on the Sky Router. I've posted on here recently about the problems that I've had since moving from BT to Sky, and my particular problem is that in area's where I had no problems using wireless, now it is either very slow or unusable. My Wife used to be able to happily surf away whilst sat in bed, however now it's a non-starter in the same bedroom. I've moved the router about 6 feet nearer to the room than the BT one was, but still the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

You could always change the wireless channel and see if that helps

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

try changing channels. If you have no joy you could buy a high gain antenna. The Sky one is a 2dbi maybe 2.5dbi.

Try a 5 - 9 dbi one.

You'll probably want an omni (big ball or doughnut shaped coverage) with a reverse sma connector.

Wireless 2.4GHz indoor antenna

Our Range of 2.4GHz Omni-Directional antennas suitable for indoor use.

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Changing the aerials is the simplest option, only costs about a tenner. Next is to buy a repeater, which you place half way between the router and the bedroom and it will boost the signals to and from the router. You can get one on ebay for another tenner. The next most expensive option is to replace the sky router altogether with one with more power.
      I have always found laptops a little difficult though, with their little aerials. Really it is always best to try to position the router as close as possible to any location you intend to use a laptop, and let the PC's sort themselves out.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just taken delivery of 9dbi aerial (which is about 14" long!) and it has made no difference. The frustration is that with my BT Router (standard aerial) it worked fine all over the house with the Router in exactly the same location as I now have the Sky one. I can't believe the Router can be so bad. I'm using the same channel as I was with the BT Router (I have also tried all other channels), Netstumbler shows no more networks than there was before, and I'm using the same Laptops - weird...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davefaz View Post
      Next is to buy a repeater, which you place half way between the router and the bedroom and it will boost the signals to and from the router. You can get one on ebay for another tenner.
      Do you have an example link please?

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The wireless range of the Sky router is poor compared to others of my experience. Why not use your old router - my old 2Wire works much better than the Netgear.

Strangely I've found that coverage with the Netgear is better (throughout a three story house) if the router is placed on the middle floor

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The Netgear has a standard wireless range, which is poor compared to some. Unfortunately, it is a case of experimenting to get things right.

An access point is wired to your sky box, a repeater does it's stuff wirelessly and only requires a mains socket nearby to gets it's power. Most access points can be configured to work as a repeater. To match your Sky router, there is the Netgear WG602 Access Point. They appear frequently on ebay and cost about 5-15 plus ~5 p&p.

Try item 300129809564, 140138494604, 160137335995

With a laptop, it is generally best to place the repeater in the same room, although you may need to experiment.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've now purchased a WG602 WAP (in fact 2 of them as I messed up on eBay) but other posts on here say that it's not possible to get this WAP and the Sky Router to work in repeater mode!

Can anyone advise if they have got this working, and if so how they set it up as I'm struggling to work it out. Idiot advice would be good as I'm no expert at networking.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

take a look at this. It shows you the basic idea ( this example uses a 602 and a 302)

Configuring Wireless Repeating with WG602 and WG302 Access Points

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast