Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Increase signal strength

This is a discussion on Increase signal strength within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by botty Just taken delivery of 9dbi aerial (which is about 14" long!) and it has made no ...

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Increase signal strength

Quote Originally Posted by botty View Post
      Just taken delivery of 9dbi aerial (which is about 14" long!) and it has made no difference. The frustration is that with my BT Router (standard aerial) it worked fine all over the house with the Router in exactly the same location as I now have the Sky one. I can't believe the Router can be so bad. I'm using the same channel as I was with the BT Router (I have also tried all other channels), Netstumbler shows no more networks than there was before, and I'm using the same Laptops - weird...
      If you are having problems with a 9dbi gain antenna then I would suggest that the problem lies somewhere else. You hint at other wireless networks operating. Make sure you are at least 3 channels away from them. The only none overlapping channels are 1, 6 and 11 (Everything seems to like to default to 1). Luckily, my access point constantly scans and picks the best channel for the conditions.

If you are still having no joy it could be faulty equipment. I reckon turn off the wireless on your netgear use your old access point and stick the high gain antenna on it. You could also make one of these (it directionalises your antenna a bit):

Ez-12

I made one for a laugh, and put it on a netgear. It did actually work quite well.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Increase signal strength-n513710453_175864_7083.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      botty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I tried following Configuring Wireless Repeating with WG602 and WG302 Access Points and was able to configure the WG602 with the MAC of the DG834GT in the repeater section, however I couldn't find the similar settings in the DG834GT. I gave it a try anyway and it didn't seem to work - there seemed to be no wireless connectivity to the WG602. Also, to set up the WG602 I have to change the IP address of the PC and use the Ethernet connection to get into the settings, I can't get into it wirelessly - is that normal?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Does anyone know how I can actually test wether the WG602 WAP is working at all?

I've set it up as per various instructions on Forums and Netgear's Support pages, but it makes no difference. I still can't use the Laptop in the one bedroom where it used to be used all the time with the BT Router.

The facts are:

Used BT for 5 years with various Routers and we could access the Internet from every room in the house.

Swapped to Sky and the signal is generally worse with the DG834GT Router, but won't work in one bedroom at all - that being the 'marital' bedroom where the good lady Wife sits on the bed and uses the Laptop/Internet almost every night. And before you say it - yes I know there are better things that the bedroom could be used for...lol

Anyway, purchased a 9dbi aerial as advised on here and still have the same problem.

So, purchased a WG602 WAP as advised on here - but still exactly the same problem, whether I have the WAP half-way between the DG834GT and the bedroom, or in the bedroom itself.

So, either the WG602 is making no difference at all, or it's not working properly - maybe not configured correctly? Therefore the query over how do I actually test that it's doing anything at all...

Any help would be appreciated.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For those who might be interested - you can't simply use a WG602 as a Repeater with the DG834GT as the Router doesn't support WDS - I got that directly from Netgear. What you need is 2 x WG602, with one hard-wired into the DG834GT and the other then placed wherever you need it. You set both WG602's as Repeaters and it works.

I've done that and my problem is resolved - however I'm not too happy that it's cost me 60 to get a connection in a bedroom where it worked fine with BT! That's 6 months worth of savings with Sky down the plughole!

chubby69er is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by botty View Post
      Just taken delivery of 9dbi aerial (which is about 14" long!) and it has made no difference. The frustration is that with my BT Router (standard aerial) it worked fine all over the house with the Router in exactly the same location as I now have the Sky one. I can't believe the Router can be so bad. I'm using the same channel as I was with the BT Router (I have also tried all other channels), Netstumbler shows no more networks than there was before, and I'm using the same Laptops - weird...
      wetewtetwewtewttew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12