Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is The Sky Router Any Good?

This is a discussion on Is The Sky Router Any Good? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am seriously wondering. I have been having intermittent failures for some time with the Sky router. It is difficult ...

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is The Sky Router Any Good?

I am seriously wondering. I have been having intermittent failures for some time with the Sky router. It is difficult to tie down exactly what happens, because there is no error recorded in the stats. It is almost as if the connection is lost for a split second, then recovers. But as I say, there are no errors in the stats. Funny thing is that I recently started using a Linksys AM200 modem, and all the problems went away. The modem is rock solid. 100% stable, with no funny errrors. I have noticed a lot of complaints about Netgear products over the past year, and it seriously makes me wonder if Sky have chosen the right partner here.....

2. Advertisement
      greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Is The Sky Router Any Good?

Some say "yes" and others "no". Have you tried switching off UPnP? It's the last item in the router menu and, again, some say it improves stability. I've been using my Sky router from day one without a single problem - the only time it's been off-line was when I was away for a week and when I reboot it as a matter of course, every Friday am. And yes, I also run a full anti-virus scan, adaware, registry clean up and defrag then too. Can't help myself

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, UPnP was switched off.
      It was a very difficult problem to tie down, because it didn't happen that often, and when it did, it only lasted a second and everything was ok again. As I say, it was almost as if the modem lost the connection, but only for a split second, then everything was ok again. I couldn't verify if it hit all the pc's at the same time, because it didn't last long enough for me to test. Whatever happened, nothing showed up on the stats. After several months on the phone to Netgear I just decided to randomly replace equipment, and first item I replaced, the modem, sorted it.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have spent some more time investigating, and indeed the SKy router was dropping the line. In fact it was not for a split second, it was for longer than that, but I have two services here, and my clever old dual WAN router was switching over to another service so that operation was not interrupted.Well, almost. So, fact is that the Netgear modem was dropping the line all the time. The Linksys, however, is clearly a better modem, it hasn't dropped the line once since it was first installed.

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Glad you're sorted. Just remember that if you do need to contact Sky CS, you'll have to re-connect their router first, it's in the T & Cs and they can check

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh! That will be a bit difficult. I poured coffee into it and hurled it under the wheels of a passing lorry.

No worries though, I would rather drive a red hot poker into my brain than contact Sky customer services.

Yes, I am glad I got it sorted though. The problem has been driving me nuts for several months.