Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help...

This is a discussion on Help... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ok, am I glad I've found you guys/gals. I've had an on-going problem with my broadband for 18 mnths now. ...

cwight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01484 (Holmfirth)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation Help...

Ok, am I glad I've found you guys/gals. I've had an on-going problem with my broadband for 18 mnths now. I was with Toucan, but they were hopeless and couldn't even get started on sorting it out. I then moved to BT, was with them for about 2 months had 5 OpenReach engineers out to the house but they couldn't sort it out so I moved to Sky last month because I know they have their own equipment in my exchange and I hoped that would sort out the problem. But it hasn't, I've been through to Tier 3 support numerous times now and those people are really excellent, but the problem persists. Yesterday I had a BT phone engineer out who checked all the connections, went up poles etc., but could find nothing wrong.

So what's the problem.

I'm in a new house (built it myself). it's wired with Cat 5 cable throughout and the phone line was only installed 18 mths ago.

Sometimes the broadband will work fine, but only ever for about 12 hours at a time. When it does I get about 5Mb.

However, for no apparent reason the line will lose synch and speed will decrease substantially. I'm currently only getting about 1.3mb, but I know this is partly because the Tier 3 peolpe have capped the line at 1.5 to try and make it stable.

When the line does go funny, I get a load of noise on the phone, and sometimes the broadband will only synch if I am actually using the phone. my noise margin levels fluctuate widely (currently at 25db). I know this suggests a high open, but the engineer found nothing. I have an ADSL faceplate fitted by BT, and I'm plugged into the master socket with no extension.

I don't know what to try next and I suspect the people at Tier 3 don't either, despite the fact the genuinely seem to want to help. My fault is currently referred back to BT faults, but I'm not hopeful.

Any ideas, it's driving me mad and I'm contemplating paying to get BT to install another line, because I simply can't see what else it can be.

Errr...Help...

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Help...

Quote Originally Posted by cwight View Post

When the line does go funny, I get a load of noise on the phone
      Sounds like its one for BT. Do you get the noise on voice calls? If so BT will fix for free.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help...

Hi,

yes, when the noise comes it is on the phone line as well, but if I unplug the router it disappears. As I say I had a BT engineer out yesterday and he checked everything back to where the cable goes underground and could find nothing wrong. Also, it's a real problem convincing BT that it is a line problem as soon as you mention that it is only the broadband that is affected they refer you back to your ISP.

The problem is that the fault is not constant and when the engineer comes, you can bet the fault doesn't. Funny enough when the engineer came yesterday the fault was present, but it went, as it does, for no sane reason, so when he left the line was fine and BB running at about 4.5mb. But he didn't find anything wrong and admitted that there was a fault when he arrived...But today at about 3.30 the line collapsed again...

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi
      have you kept a log of when the noise bursts and speed drops occur? Is there a pattern to the times or anything that could help point to a cause?

I assume you have thought about this already, but I only realy have the simple suggestions
      Sometimes they work

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes I did start doing that but there is simply no pattern or logic to it. The noise was awful earlier today, but once the tier3 support person capped the line speed it just went. Then it came back again about 30 mins later, but it's clear now.

Having had 3 ISP's and all throwing up the same problem it must be the line somewhere, but getting BT to do a thorough investigation seems impossible. All I get from them is threats...'Well if we send an engineer out and he finds no fault, or it's a problem with your equipment it's going to cost you X..."

BT broadband admitted they didn't know what to do next and refunded all the monthly costs and didn't hold me to the 12mth contract. According to the engineer I had here yesterday I have the largest number of 'returns' (as he called it) he has ever seen on a customer file. Everyone acknowledges that there is a problem, but no one seems to want to own it. I just don't get it myself. I trained as comms technician in the RAF and if I came across a fault, all I ever wanted to do was to find it. The BT broadband engineers won't even check the cable outside of the house...'No, that's a BT line engineer issue'.

God what I wouldn't give for an integrated nationalised system.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I wonder if there is a cable underground that is getting flooded? It sould be so many things it does require a dedicated effort to puzzle through all possibilities.
      Well that is me all out of suggestions I am afraid. I can offer bucket loads of sympathy though.

I too find it impossible to understand how people can work in such jobs without a burning curiousity and desire to solve problems.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwight View Post
      when the noise comes it is on the phone line as well, but if I unplug the router it disappears.
      That's curious as it suggests that the router frequencies are breaking through somehow.

You say you have a BT ADSL faceplate? I wonder if this is faulty somehow. Try a connection to the test socket inside the master socket using a microfilter thus bypassing the faceplate and all other wiring.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Saturday,

I've done that a few times. I must have about 12 or some filters in the house (can they all be faulty?), and I now have quite a few routers as well. Also the BT engineers used to come and use their own routers, same problem. The adsl faceplate was only put on about 3 months ago by a BT engineer in an attempt to solve the problem. But I'll try the test socket route again. To be honest I'll try anything. I have to say, however, once you get through to them the Sky Tier 3 people are by far and away the best tech support people I've come across. At least you can have a conversation with them and they will tell you what the line looks like from their side, and they will tweak it in real time for you. Don't get me on Toucan....or BT for that matter.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Incidentally, Have I posted this in the correct forum? Apologies if not and just let me know the correct location.

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had something very similar to this once, and the result you just won't believe. Turned out to be a component in the exchange. When the sun shone on the exchange, the box warmed up, and the fault occured. However, as the sun moved through the sky, or encountered clouds, etc, the box would cool and so the problem would go away. As you could imagine, it took ages to get it sorted. I had to keep on calling them out until it just so happened that a guy was sat there testing the line when the sun came out! Turned out to be some component or other that failed when it became too warm. Even the engineer said that he had never encountered anything like it before and he couldn't believe his eyes as he saw the signal fade and then recover when the sun went in!!!
      I would try a completely different make of modem, just to eliminate that as a possibility. I have to say that other than that it does sound rather like the problem I had, in that it is perhaps an intermittent problem with the box at the exchange. I am horrified to tell you that it took 1.5 years to get my problem sorted.