Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

How To Limit Wireless Speeds??

This is a discussion on How To Limit Wireless Speeds?? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i have 2 computers. both windows xp. one is connected via ethernet which is the computer mainly used. the other ...

garethlanigan is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:

Unhappy How To Limit Wireless Speeds??

i have 2 computers. both windows xp. one is connected via ethernet which is the computer mainly used. the other is connected via wireless. i was wondering if there is a way to limit the wireless speeds without affecting the ethernet speeds as the other computer dosent do as much heavy duty downloading, is alot older and is only used for email and viewing web pages. i am using the standard sky netgear DG834GT router with firmware version 1.02.28. is there any software or configuration to do this??

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box

Re: How To Limit Wireless Speeds??

The Sky router doesn't offer any functionality to do this. However, if the wireless PC is only used for surfing and email then the amount of bandwidth it uses will be small. so I'm not sure why this is an issue for you. Do you have a very low sync connection?

EDIT: I've just looked at your other threads (and deleted two - please don't post duplicates) and see you've previously posted your stats. Your sync speed whilst not great, isn't terrible and easily enough to allow the wireless PC to surf and email without affecting the other one to any great extent.

Your stats aren't sufficient though to show whether you have a line fault. Please add another post to your stats thread this time making sure that the router has been running for at least a couple of hours before taking them. I also notice that there may be an issue shown by your router max speed and high noise margin. This suggests your noise margin has an unacceptably large daily swing and indicates a possible wiring fault. It would be helpful if after you take your full stats you immediately take your simple stats when connected to your test socket to show the noise margin/sync differences (if any)
      Last edited by Saturday; 06-07-07 at 09:42 AM.