Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

2 PC's connected to the one router, but only one PC working

This is a discussion on 2 PC's connected to the one router, but only one PC working within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, Im having a problem with my connection to the internet on my Netgear router. Basically, there are 2 ...

rumpola is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

2 PC's connected to the one router, but only one PC working

Hi All,

Im having a problem with my connection to the internet on my Netgear router.

Basically, there are 2 PC's connected to the router via cable (Not wireless), and everything has been working fine for a while.

I have been away for a while on hols, and when I get back, I found my PC not connecting to the internet, although the other PC is connecting fine.

I have found out that my housemate disconnected all the PC/Router plugs to tidy up at some stage, but he just plugged everything straight back in afterwards.

I have checked all the cables, internet options and the connections, and everything seems to be ok. I have swapped over the cables from my housemates PC to mine and mine still wont work. I have checked all his settings, and they are exactly the same as mine, so I am now at a loss as to what to check next. I have gone into the router settings to see if there's anything I can see there, but to no avail.

My PC is sending and receiving packets ok, the router is saying connected, all the correct lights are on and when I remove the network cables my PC tells me the network cable is unplugged.

I think it must be a setup issue somewhere, but I cannot find it for love nor money!!

I really havent got the time to be sat on the phone to Sky for hours to try and sort this out at the moment, so I wondered if anyone out there can point me in the right direction please.

2. Advertisement
      -Paul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Parkstone
      Broadband ISP: Freesat
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Humax HDR + 42"
      Thanks

Re: 2 PC's connected to the one router, but only one PC working

Running XP? Do you have the Firewalls enabled, if so, try switching them off and see if you can connect, Has the Router been re-booted?, try clicking on "Run" and type "command" then type "ipconfig" you should see your IP address (168.192.0 2 or 3 etc) , all ethernet cables are the same unless it's a crossover cable! make sure that your cables are straight through,
      Paul

rumpola is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 2 PC's connected to the one router, but only one PC working

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, im running XP (staying off of Vista until it sorts its teething problems out)
      I have looked at my firewall settings, and they seem ok, but I must admit I havent switched it off then tried.

I re-booted the router last night, but that didnt help. The router is displaying my correct IP address too, so I presume its reading it right, but I will give it a go later after work.

All my cables are ok, as I have switched them to my mates PC, and they work fine with his.

I can feel a loooooonnnngggg call to SKY coming, unfortunately!!