Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Slow BB speeds

This is a discussion on Slow BB speeds within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; No, we've just got stuff plugged into the master socket as all the phones are wireless. Are there any known ...

kliro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sale
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow BB speeds

No, we've just got stuff plugged into the master socket as all the phones are wireless.

Are there any known issues with the router?

Does the sync speed indicate that my speed is no longer capped?

It just seems weird that I'm running at pretty much the same downstream, whilst for some reason my upstream has increased...

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes the servere cap you had has been removed, as you are synced with the exchange at 8mb. I would disconnect everything else from the socket and try again, have you tried reseting the router by pushing a pin in the little hole on the back of the router and holding it for 20 seconds. Must admit I haven't come across this before not when the sync speed is correct and you have tried all the usual things, clutching at straws really.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just tried resetting the router and just plugging the modem line in, still getting the exact same results.

p.s. Bashing the router doesn't make a difference....

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still on these awesomely low speeds

Where do I go from here?

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Of the things given in Saturday's list of possible causes, I think most have been eliminated. Your line appears to be fine. You've tried two computers running different operating systems (and therefore different software). I think that leaves only a router fault or an exchange-related problem. Either way only Sky can deal with it. I would call them - and make it clear that you are synching at a good speed, with verly low errors, and that you have tried different computers. wireless/ethernet etc etc. My guess is that they would start by sending you another router.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Before you call Sky support, make sure that you have as much evidence on your side as possible. Let's recap:
      - The router reports no errors and syncs at 8 Mb/s.
      - You are plugged into the test socket. NOTE: not the master, but the test socket behind the master. (I can't see that making a difference based on what you've said, but it's Sky support you need to convince, not me!).
      - You have used a friend's laptop running some flavour of Windows and this also gives the same download speeds.
      - Both are wired, not using wireless.
      - You've switched of uPNP (again, probably not relavant but it adds weight).

Now if I were support, I'd ask if you tried different ports on the router? I see dodgy switch ports as a cause of slow LAN speeds fairly often, so you'll need to say you've tried all 4 ports. Add to this that you've looked at error stats on the Mac LAN connection and there are no CRC errors (or indeed on the Windows laptop for that matter). I'd also ask you what you used to measure the speed? Ensure that you've tried plenty of different speed test sites not just speedtest.net. Best to try a few FTP downloads and use that to tell you the download speeds as well. With that lot, you have a strong and comprehensive case when calling Sky.

HTH
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Currently on the phone to sky support, really reluctant to put me onto tier 2 or 3. So he's troubleshooting and was convinced my connection issues were to do with me not using their supplied yellow ethernet cable.....

He's insisting I wait 10 days for RAMBO to sort out the connection, but there should have definately been some fluctuation by now with RAMBO right? Since it's been running since the 28th June, and I've been consistantly on 240kbit since then?

PS thanks mossywell - your post is really good for when I'm on the phone

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Your profile says you are on Mid.

RAMbo is only applicable to Connect - as is any 10 day period i.e. Sky LLU doesn't have a training period.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well the guy said my 10 day period would be up within a couple of days and I think he said I was on ADSL max (could barely understand what he was saying)

The guy absolutely refused to let me speak to tier 2 saying it wasn't possible to create a ticket (again could barely understand him, so don't know why)

I've heard horror stories about support before, but I've never experienced this until now, the guy literally didn't seem to know what he was doing, and I had to try my hardest to understand him.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Muppets!! It would be sooooo much better if they had decent customer service! Its like going in the garage and trying to explain to the mechanic where the engine is !!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123