Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

sky router vs my router

This is a discussion on sky router vs my router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; But the router was only running for 26 minutes when you took the stats which dosen't give a true picture ...

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: sky router vs my router

But the router was only running for 26 minutes when you took the stats which dosen't give a true picture of what is going on, and I dont believe you have tried the test socket.
      You still have errors on the line but if you don't want to investigate further then your call. As I said previously mine works fine.

2. Advertisement
      garyhopkin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

hi again

i didnt try the test socket ,the reason being its a brand new inline filter fitted by a bt engineer..my main gripe is the fact that im a full half meg short of download speed when using the sky router...i honestly cant see the need to test further?

the netgear router imo is a very poor piece of kit,mainly for 2 reason which i mentioned earlier 1 being the sync speed and the other the very weak wireless streaming capability.

i apologise if i have wasted anyones time,but i honestly feel like im flogging a dead horse with the netgear.

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I Agree ( sarcasm ) my sky netgear router only syncs at 16mbs, i wonder if i used one of those trendnet routers, would i get 16.5mbs?

Anyhow why not use the test socket with your trendnet router to see if you get even more speed ? Just because a bt man fited an inline filter doesnot mean to say he did a good job.... Example, did he disconnect the ring wire from your main socket ? If not then this could give you around 3mbs.

Try your test socket and check your wiring with your trendnet router to see if you gain more.

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

garyhopkin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

adsl v1.0 is whats on my face plate...i took it off and there was a place to put the phone jack but not the router cable,i undone the top bit and there were 2 wires connected(only 2 screw fixings to attach 2 wires the other bundle of wires were trimmed back.
      i put a filter between the test socket and phone line,added the router cable to filter and made no difference?
      Im pretty much resigned to the fact that im stuck with what i got with regards to download speed,but theres no need to defend the netgear router just because it works for some who maybe have an exchange in their back garden,but that still doesent excuse the pathetic wireless range of it.
      i again thank you for the input,and the added sarcasm in the previous post but its pretty black and white to me 1 router 2500,and the other 2000 whats there to debate?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think the answer is fairly obvious, your router syncs faster than the netgear one, so use it. After all you paid nothing for the Netgear router so it will cost you nothing to put it in a cupboard and keep it as a backup. You will need to connect it if your internet goes down and you want to phone Sky for support.

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You may well have a dodgy router as i think most people can use the wireless for almost anything, my router wireless goes through 4 walls approx 10 metres and i still get 54mbs ( < laptop cards max speed ) so sarcasm aside you may well have a dodgy netgear or in your case you have seen how bad the netgear router is whilst most of us have great speeds / wireless anyway so have not tried a different router.

Maybe e-mail sky and state your findings they will most probs send another router and if thats the same then you have 2 door stops.

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12