Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless running slow...

This is a discussion on Wireless running slow... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, new to this forum. I've been a customer of BT for my Broadband for almost 5 years. During that ...

botty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless running slow...

Hi, new to this forum.

I've been a customer of BT for my Broadband for almost 5 years. During that time I've had 3 Wireless Routers through upgrades, the last one about 18 months ago when we went to BT Fusion with the Bluetooth enabled hub. On each occasion, after the original setting up (which was very easy) everything worked great with very good speeds from anywhere in the house.

Just over a week ago I moved to Sky, purely down to the cost. It took quite a while to get my Desktop and two Laptops working, but eventually after about 3hrs all was working. However, since then the wireless just keep running very slow from each PC, sometimes from close to the Router, and almost always from each of the bedrooms or the lounge. I have tried all of the channels on the Router and this has made no difference. I have one phone socket into the house to which the router is connected, and nothing near the Router that might affect the signal. I've spoken to the Indian Customer Services on many occasions (at considerable expense on the 0870 number) and they are no more use than a chocolate fireguard. I tell them the same things over and over again, constantly have to keep asking them to repeat what they are saying, and I'm still getting nowhere. I manage over 100 2nd and 3rd level IT Support staff and have managed 1st level Helpdesks before and know when someone is just reading from a script and has no idea of thinking laterally and actually using their IT knowledge - if they have any. Anyway less of my whinge about the Customer Services.

If anyone can give me any advice then that would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless running slow...

It's against the T & Cs of course, but you could try setting up your old router to run on Sky, if you can do it. I know some BT routers need severe hacking to run on another ISP. The Mognuts utility, which will allow you to extract your username/password can be found HERE It would prove whether your connection is bad or just the wireless side of the Netgear router performing badly.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'd thought about trying the old Router but had no idea how to get the Sky login information - many thanks for that, I now have the .cfg file. I'll give it a go and post the results. Thanks again...

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, I configured the BT Router with my Sky Username and Password but it won't connect. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As I said earlier, some BT routers are difficult if not impossible to get working with other ISPs. Check that it is set VPI=0, VCI=38 and PPPoA. If it still does not work try searching on Google with something like <your bt router model no and other isp>