Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

problems with sky router

This is a discussion on problems with sky router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Anyone out there able to help? I am new to this and Sky technical support seem to be rubbish. Router ...

stevekat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: banbury
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

problems with sky router

Anyone out there able to help? I am new to this and Sky technical support seem to be rubbish. Router seems to work sometimes but can't connect to web pages. (tried both wired and wireless) Bt have been out and checked the line and found no problems. Router has been exchanged by Sky but problems still persist. Computer tells me I am connected to the internet and I can log into the router but can't view web pages. When this happens I have noticed that the info for the adsl port seems to be wrong- it shows the mac address and network type but ip address, ip subnet mask, gateway ip address, and domain name server are all blank! I have to unplug the router sometimes several times and reboot my computer to access web pages and get the ip address etc. Why is this happening? A friend told me this could be a fault with dhcp but I don't know what to do about it. Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: problems with sky router

Quote Originally Posted by stevekat View Post
      Anyone out there able to help? I am new to this and Sky technical support seem to be rubbish. Router seems to work sometimes but can't connect to web pages. (tried both wired and wireless) Bt have been out and checked the line and found no problems. Router has been exchanged by Sky but problems still persist. Computer tells me I am connected to the internet and I can log into the router but can't view web pages. When this happens I have noticed that the info for the adsl port seems to be wrong- it shows the mac address and network type but ip address, ip subnet mask, gateway ip address, and domain name server are all blank! I have to unplug the router sometimes several times and reboot my computer to access web pages and get the ip address etc. Why is this happening? A friend told me this could be a fault with dhcp but I don't know what to do about it. Any help greatly appreciated.
      You have what is known as an error 300!

There is nothing wrong with your line or router, the problem lies with sky. You are not being assigned an ip address! Call sky and tell them that you have a constant error 300 problem and that you are not being assigned an ip address.

BT cannot help because as I pointed out it's a problem at sky's end not in your home or at the exchange!

jondogz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01952
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: problems with sky router upnp

Try turning off uPnP in the settings I read it somewhere (probably on skyuser) and it's been really stable since doing this. Previously connection very suspect.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: problems with sky router

You can try the following fixes, one may cure your problem.

1. Reset the router, make sure it is switched on, with the power and internet lights on steady. The port used by your PC ethernet connection should also be lit. The wireless light does not matter at this stage. Now push the point of a biro into the small hole between the power plug and the first port. Hold it there for about 10 secs. Try to connect. If this does not work -

2. Switch the router power off and leave it off for at least 40 mins. You can switch off by removing the power plug to the router or switch off at the wall plug.

If and when you phone Sky you will be told to do this, so give it a try before you waste time phoning. If it does not work, Sky will have a test made on your connection to try and determine the cause of the fault.

stevekat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: banbury
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: problems with sky router(solution?)

Hi and thanks for the suggestions. Switched off UPNP but still seeing slow downloads. Next tried uninstalling Macafee and replacing with AVG. Wow!speed tests now show download speed of 2.8Mb (was 700k). Connection that was dropping every 15 minutes and stopping me from viewing web pages has now been on for 8 hours. Fingers crossed. I will repost and let you know if I am still smiling tomorrow.