Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Network goes down when using wireless laptop?

This is a discussion on Network goes down when using wireless laptop? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have my desktop pc connected to the netgear via LAN cable and the laptop via a wireless card. The ...

garyp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Network goes down when using wireless laptop?

I have my desktop pc connected to the netgear via LAN cable and the laptop via a wireless card. The desktop pc will stay connected forever, but if I switch on the laptop I get a random amount of time with all ok (usually about 10 minutes to an hour) then lose network connectivity. It is not the wireless signal that's a problem as that remains strong.

Once this happens, the desktop machine has also lost its connectivity to the network as well.

If I unplug the power lead for the router and plug back in, wait 30 seconds, then connectivity returns on both machines. I don't think this can be a router overheating problem, as until I use the laptop, the desktop will stay connected all day (the laptop used to as well, see below).

It does not matter whether the desktop pc is on or not, even using the laptop on its own causes the network to go down. This only started recently after I got filesharing working between the two machines. Now when I boot the laptop I have a windows logon box and a dialogue box pops up when I log on asking me to wait whilst it associates the wireless settings, etc, etc. Obviously something has changed somewhere within the bowels of the windows networking, bacause prior to this, the laptop would also stay connected forever with no problems, so again, it is not the router overheating or wireless interference from within my house, as I have not bought any new equipment that could be interfering.

I am really getting desparate now, yes I have filesharing working, but now this new connectivity problem has come in.

Settings:

The router has LAN IP setup for the two machines. The desktop is on 02 and the laptop is on 03. Security settings are at the default as supplied by Sky and have not changed since I got Sky bb five months ago.

The laptop machine is using a BT Voyager wireless card and the software that came with it, however this worked flawlessly for 5 months, so I know this is not the problem (or at least, it can't be the whole problem).

What is causing my connectivity to go down on both pc's when I connect my wireless laptop, and how come everything was fine until recently? This is crazy!

Please help!

2. Advertisement
      thepaddedcell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bromley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Network goes down when using wireless laptop?

Sounds like you're having the same sort of problems mentioned here.

Maybe try the fix mentioned there and see how you go?