Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is it legal?

This is a discussion on Is it legal? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I understand that Sky's T&C require that only the router provided by Sky be used. If this is so (I ...

Cymru is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newport Chartist
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Is it legal?

I understand that Sky's T&C require that only the router provided by Sky be used. If this is so (I find it confusing in reading the T&C, though) is this legal? Can Sky really force customers to use only the Netgear router?

Thanks

JC

2. Advertisement
      Hughjarse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Is it legal?

yes they can
      My Bot Aint that big

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

When our router (2nd one) didnt turn up, We were offered to use our own, Then I questioned this and I was told this is strictly so not every tom-**** can do it, So in other words, Its controlled.

One of the main reasons was because then if everyone was using there own, Sky would have problems when people ring up for support.

I dont think this is illegal, If it was, Then it would be the same for BT, They say you have to use the Home HUB for theres, Orange is LiveBox ect ect.

Cymru is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newport Chartist
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I am not quite sure and that is why I am asking. I mean I think this might be a case not approved by EU rules, I think I read something somewhere. The example that other companies, BT, etc do the same is also confusing. I think providers are tricking customers into things that might not be totally legal but keep going if there is no contest. FOr instance the bank charges, it was always presented as a rightful, legal measure that the bank could apply, but when someone actually contest it, it seems that it was not legal anyway. I am sort of guessing here that this might be the case with Sky and others forcing the use of a particular brand or model of router. If it was Microsoft telling us we have to use only their software or else, there probably be a lawsuit somewhere. Maybe some in this forum might have legal experience in dealing with this stuff?

I have switched to my old router after retrieving the password from the Netgear router, and ever since my connection is stable and working fine, but I was a bit concerned abnout the T&C.

Thanks for all your comments!

JC

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is very legal. Sky operate the network and are entitled to decide what is a valid and what is not a valid device to have on their network. They make it clear in the T&Cs and its all perfectly reasonable. However it seems Sky don't care about people "rolling their own" but just don't expect any support.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

As for the T and C's it is quite clear that Sky do want you to use their router.

However look at the facts.

On this website there is a clear and concise way to not use the Sky router, and Sky have never, to this day:

1) Kicked anyone off the service for not using their router

2) Instructed us to take the method down.

I would assume, that if we took the information down, it would pop up somewhere else and then when that is taken down, somewhere else.

I would also hazard a guess that Sky are hoping that not too many people are tech savvy enough to do this anyway. *And* it probably does cut down on their support, ie those who have tried it and had bad results before, are ok now with their own router.

We (as a site) do not condone that you flash the router etc, as there is always a chance that you do it wrong and render it useless. That said, you shouldn't smoke as that is bad for you and can cause death. However we do not enforce that you cannot smoke.

There are always right and wrong ways to do something and that to me is the individual's call.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser