Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SKY Router Freeze

This is a discussion on SKY Router Freeze within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, came here looking for a bit of help and or Advice! Got the Sky Router delivered on Saturday, and ...

lemington is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lemington (NEL)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

SKY Router Freeze

Hi, came here looking for a bit of help and or Advice!

Got the Sky Router delivered on Saturday, and from then on the router seems to Freeze after 30-40 mins!
      Physically the router seems fine, wireless, wired and Internet lights all on.
      I checked the PC's event viewer and It looks like It looses its IP and cant get DHCP to assign it a new one. I released the IP and try to renew using ipconfig /renew but no luck!
      At first I thought it could be spyware or a virus, but my girlfriends laptop also looses connection. The only thing that seems to 'fix' it , is turning the router on and off!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Anth

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: SKY Router Freeze

Welcome to the forum

Could be the UPnP "bug". Log into your router and turn UPnP off. If you don't yet know how to log into the router see the first sticky in my signature at the bottom of this post.

lemington is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lemington (NEL)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice,
      It looks like that has done the trick, (Ive been connected for over an hour now!)
      Is it a recognized fault with the routers? Or a DSL thing? (Used to have a cable modem with Telewest, but since moving out of the folks house I went with sky for Sky1 ect)

And thanks v much for the info

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes it seems to affect the Sky router so I guess it's a firmware issue - though for some reason it affects some people and not others. Must be some interaction with the PC operating system and how it's set up I suppose. Someone like Mossywell would know.

Toad555 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

I seem to be getting a similar prob but its freezing every day, seems to be ok for just over 12hrs then freezes, when I access the router admin pages everything seems to suggest its still connected and all the lights are suggesting the same. I can still get ping replies from remote sites with a normal reply time, DNS is still able to resolve addresses but the browser just will not load any pages. The only fix that seems to work is unplugging the router. There are 3 hardwired PC's in my house all with static assigned IP's two are on 24/7, I don't want to turn UPNP off because I use it.

Its really just annoying, other than this freeze thing my connection is really really fast, I'm on MAX and adsl guide reports 9mbps almost every time. I've once downloaded a linux iso from Kent uni and got 1.2mb/sec for the whole download, 650mb CD iso in under 10mins, astonishing......

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hard to say without seeing your stats but it could be a problem with line errors. If high they can build up to a point where the connection is overwhelmed and the only (temporary) fix is to reboot the router to "flush" them.

Could also be the UPnP "bug" though that tends to kick in every 15 minutes or so. If you don't want to turn it off you currently only have two choices: live with the problems or use another router/firmware.
      Last edited by Saturday; 07-06-07 at 10:06 AM.

swanside is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stoneycroft
      Broadband ISP: Virginmedia 100 meg
      Router: Virginmedia Superhub
      Sky TV: Two, Sky + HD
      Thanks

I have been getting a simlar problem, The router works fine, but I get no internet connection, so when I go into the admin pages of the router and lok at the connections, I have no IP address, I click on connect and it takes some while to get an address, I have also rebooted the router and then it comes back aswell. Also, I have lost the wireless connection to the router, so again I have to reboot the router.

I have just followed the guide on seting up the router, and turned off the Upnp, hopefully that will resolve any more problems.

Swanny.

Toad555 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that people.

Think I'll try to disable upnp for now and see if that solves the prob, at least that way I'll know what the cause is.

If that is the cause I guess if that does fix it then I'll be looking at reflashing the router firmware.

Toad

Exchange:
      Thanks

Many people consider UPnP to be an unnecessary security risk. Why not just set up port forwarding for any applications that need it? Or is that not possible in your circumstances?