Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Strange disconnection !

This is a discussion on Strange disconnection ! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Did it effect your speed much? If not could try taking it even higher. Cant do any harm can soon ...

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Strange disconnection !

Did it effect your speed much? If not could try taking it even higher. Cant do any harm can soon put it back. Also you seem it be aware of the time of day it all goe's pear shaped, I would closely monitor your detailed stats just before and during the trouble period, look for any surges in CRC errors, your stats posted CRC errors look low but they can come and go, interference etc.
      When I had my problems I could run for hours with low CRC errors then suddenly get 10 - 20 thousand of them.

2. Advertisement
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just read through your posts again, you say you are plugged into the master socket but have you tried the test socket behing the faceplate? is there any unused extension wiring connected into the back of the master?? A length of cable connected even with nothing plugged in the other end of it can still pick up noise, which actually is what caused all my problems a few months ago.

sproey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Fibre
      Router: Home Hub 5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi, thanks again,

I don't have any dead ends as far as i know - i have 4 telephone sockets all "hard wired" in, by that they are not extensions looped off one another. I will check all connections over the weekend to make sure they are okay, i will re- connect them all, and make sure they have good connections.
      I have had a thought.... I have a sky box hooked up to my Tv card in my computer, this shares the filter that my router uses.....could this cause a problem ?

Thanks

Rob

Sky TV:
      Thanks

If your master socket is a NTE5 if you remove the 2 screws and pull the bottom half of the face plate off you should find a test socket behind the plate, by pulling the face plate off it should disconnect all hardwired extension cables, this is how BT test the line if you were to call them out, by plugging in the test socket it isolates a problem to there wiring ie the line or your wiring. You should plug the router via a filter into that test socket, if your noise margin goe's up and your problems go away then it is internal wiring causing the problem, which was the case with mine.
      If the master is an older non NTE5 the only way to do the test is to physically disconnect the extension cables inside the socket leaving just 2 wires connected pins 2 and 5 from the incoming BT line.
      If disconnecting the extensions improves things then go round all the extension sockets and disconnect all wires apart from pins 2 and 5 then reconnect at the master or put the face plate back on and try again.
      In my case it was the ring/bell wire pin 6 which was generating major noise, these extra connections are not required with modern phones so disconnecting the extra wires shouldn't stop the phones ringing.

Oh yeah worth disconnecting the Sky box just in case, they have been known to gererate noise.
      Last edited by Koala5; 01-06-07 at 12:46 AM.

richsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I haven't changed my noise setting but I have plugged the router into the main phone socket and I'm now running it wirelessly. It was connected to a phone extension which may have affected the signal, but I never had a problem with my Tesco bb. I think the router is fine, the settings are fine and the line is fine. It's most likely exchange problems that only Sky can resolve.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

What speed was your Tesco connection? My old BT 2mb was fine but when I went to Sky's 8mb my wiring couldn't handle Skys faster speeds. I discounted the wiring as being an issue because it was ok with BT but I was wrong.

sproey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Fibre
      Router: Home Hub 5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi,

Sorry to report again, still having difficulties with my connection failing.....the only difference now is that it disconnects at 10.00pm ! Have checked everything i can think of, all connections at bt sockets - all fine no problems.
      Have reported it to Sky, who have so far done nothing, have sent five e mails to them, so far they have only replied to one ! Fantastic service for a new provider !!
      I am at a complete loss as to what to try next- maybe i'm going to have to get used to turning the bloody thing off at 10.00pm every night , leaving it for 15 mins then turning it back on !!

Absolutely cheesed off !!

Rob

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If it is dropping at the same time every night the chances are something is switching on, causing your connection to drop. Street lights are one of the culprits that can sometimes cause this but almost any electrical switch on could cause it. I think I mentioned in a thread some time back that one guy lost his connection every night at 6.30, he discovered it was when his wife went for her nightly run on her treadmill!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12