Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Spontaneous Factory Reset

This is a discussion on Spontaneous Factory Reset within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; At about 3:10pm today, my router quite spontaneously disappeared off the network and when it came back on, it has ...

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Spontaneous Factory Reset

At about 3:10pm today, my router quite spontaneously disappeared off the network and when it came back on, it has been reset to factory defaults. No one was in the house at the time. (For a brief moment, I wondered if Sky had released a new firmware but of course this should reset the user setting and indeed the version is still the same.) I've restored the settings from a backup and all is well, but I thought I'd seen all the strange things that this router can do, but this is a new one on me!
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

2. Advertisement
      skyuser1111111 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Spontaneous Factory Reset

Thats a really really strange thing, but very rarely these kind of things happen

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

maybe a power cut/surge which made the router lose your settings and then reset when power restored[just a guess]

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

We had a major storm in Cov, could that have caused what dtr42 says?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't recall the exact weather but I was out at the time and it was raining, but certainly no storm. I just put it down to one of those curious events. It did help that I had a backup of the config. There must be a lesson in there somewhere.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

biscuit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ripponden (fairly large Yorkshire village)
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey, mine just did that too, got up this morning and my network wasn't available, replaced by one called 'NETGEAR' - it had gone to Netgear's default settings and not Sky's since I have UberGT, for that reason I don't think it's Sky updating it. Anyway, how can they actually update the firmware if you have remote management turned off ... unless they've slipped in a backdoor in the firmware, which is possible..

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have to doubt that Sky would try 'secretly' updating the firmware. For one thing, turning off the power while the update was in progress could completely wreck the router. As this is one of the recommended actions when you loose connection, as you would do during an update, surely Sky would not try this without informing you. I think the most likely scenario would be an email advising you to ensure remote management was enabled, then click a link taking you to a web page containing the firmware which would be automatically downloaded to the router.

In Biscuit's case, I think it is probably a bug in the unofficial firmware. They do go to lengths advising you to use it at your own risk.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I have to doubt that Sky would try 'secretly' updating the firmware.
      Then I'm afraid that I'm going to have to disappoint you by confirming your doubts!
      1. Sky can "secretly" update the router. The router runs a process that polls a server (every 24 hrs IIRC but I might be wrong) for a firmware update and downloads and installs it.
      2. No, they don't need to contact you for this to happen.
      3. This has nothing to do with remote management whatsoever. On or off, the firmware update can still happen.
      4. The problem is indicative of a problem with the hardware or something that ubergt and the sky firmware have in common. Given that there is a 99% overlap with firmware between the two, I'd think this a possibility. (Of course, now that the weather's hotter, it might be a router cooling problem.)