Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Help! Free Wireless Router

This is a discussion on Help! Free Wireless Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by FibreOptic Let me get this correct, You cant access the Sky Router Page? http://192.168.0.1 - That will ...

Armanie14 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help! Free Wireless Router

Quote Originally Posted by FibreOptic View Post
      Let me get this correct, You cant access the Sky Router Page?
      http://192.168.0.1 - That will only connect once you are connected to the Sky box, Either Wireless or Ethernet. This page is a local page to the router (sky) so its the only way to connect to it,

If your on MSN il be able to talk you through it.

I think i added you on msn through the address in your profile on thissite. If that is wrong then you could PM it to me.

But yes, i am connected to the sky box, and it still doesn't work. In your first post you said i had to set up a conection, I didn't do this when i plugged in the router etc, would this be why i can't get onto the http://192.168.0.1 page?

I will speak to you on MSN, im very much looking foward to sorting this out.

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yes, Got your request and accepted on MSN.
      Are you trying to get to that page via ethernet? So you deff the Cable connection for a min, Just connect to the Sky Box on its own, Use the ethernet cable, As it suggests from your other posts the wireless isnt enabled as you said you couldnt see the wireless light on.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah, it wouldn't work. I've been trying for hours, in the night and this morning. I don't know what else to do. Is there any other way to get into the router settings page. Any other address i could try to get into it? I just simply cant. Im sure what im doing is correct.

And you say it couldn't be a problem with the fact that i have the modem going through the router first why it wont recognise it. Should a new hardware sign come up when the router is connected?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is one thing you can try and that is resetting the router. Push the point of a biro into the little hole between the power plug and port 1, hold it in for about 10 secs. This will reset the router to it's original configuration, which may have been changed by the original owner. When you have done that go through the connection process again.

If this has already been suggested and you have tried it, I apologize.

The router is not seen by your PC as hardware, no drivers are required, so no sign will come up. You should see 2 little monitors in your tray, which may animate for a few seconds when the plug is pushed in, that is all. Depending on how your NIC is set up, the monitors may remain there once they are connected.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok. i tryed pushing the pen in the little spot for 10 seconds. And i thin ki broke the router. It used to be that the Power sign and the tick sign flashed alternatly, now they are both unlit. Also the port 1 and 2 lights used to flash letting me know that the internet was connect and packets were being sent i think. Now they are both solid.

Any attempt to reset the router has failed, nothing is working so i thinks it's dead. That is the end of that plan i guess. Thanks for helping though especially FibreOptic.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Those alternate blinking lights symbolise the router was in what is called as the "Recovery Position" That is used when restoring it, In this case getting rid of the Sky firmware and using the standard Netgear one.

Maybe, You could flash this router - Kinda simple, and then Sell it on eBay or something.. and then get a Cable Router instead.. As I wouldnt say its dead and if you cant really use it... You might aswell make something out of it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As Fibre says, alternate blinking occurs when you push the reset while powering up to allow you to update the firmware. I would guess that someone has tried to update the firmware and it has failed. It is becoming apparent why the router was left behind.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123