Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with poor wireless throughput please....

This is a discussion on Help with poor wireless throughput please.... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've been using my Belkin 7633 with the sky broadband max service, and it has been flawless..... My wired and ...

Kitch9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help with poor wireless throughput please....

I've been using my Belkin 7633 with the sky broadband max service, and it has been flawless..... My wired and wireless connection both throughput data at around the same speed. (6.5mb)

I requested support via e mail from Sky as I have been put on G.Dmt, just asking if ADSL2 was possible on my line. They couldn't run tests as my Belkin made it look as if nothing was connected on their systems.

I have connected my Sky router, and it is as stable (with Upnp off) as my Belkin over a wired connection, but here's the killer. The wireless signal is stronger than my Belkin according to my PS3 (60% on the Belkin 82% on the Netgear.) but I can only get 1Mbit max transfer speeds......

With the sky router next to my PS3 I get 5-6Mbit of wireless.... I've tried some of the fixes on this site such as turning off SSID broadcast and changing channels to no avail. Does anybody have any suggestions as its driving me nuts......

I've ordered a 9dB high gain ariel, but TBH I'm not holding my breath....

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help with poor wireless throughput please....

I think I would scan for neighbouring wireless networks and, if any, switch to a frequency 6 channels away from the strongest.

You don't mention range -- but if you're talking about high gain aerials you presumably feel there's a problem. Netgear only recommend their own hi-gain models where these are compatible (no surprise perhaps). Theoretically you could damage the transmitter unit, but lots of people use an off-brand antenna.

One reception range dodge is to put both the computer and the router near windows on the same side of the house -- wireless travels better through air than brick. But ensure you turn on encryption -- your neighbours will have excellent reception too.

Kitch9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      I think I would scan for neighbouring wireless networks and, if any, switch to a frequency 6 channels away from the strongest.

You don't mention range -- but if you're talking about high gain aerials you presumably feel there's a problem. Netgear only recommend their own hi-gain models where these are compatible (no surprise perhaps). Theoretically you could damage the transmitter unit, but lots of people use an off-brand antenna.

One reception range dodge is to put both the computer and the router near windows on the same side of the house -- wireless travels better through air than brick. But ensure you turn on encryption -- your neighbours will have excellent reception too.

My PS3 is 10m away from the router max...The router is upstairs, the PS3 downstairs...... The sky router is just crap basically. The only wireless network the PS3 picks up is mine....

I wish Sky would let me use my Belkin...

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You probably can use your Belkin -- see posts on extracting User name and Password coded into the Sky router.