Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice on resetting my modem

This is a discussion on Advice on resetting my modem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys. I come to you with a bit of an embrassing problem. I am currently trying to log into ...

kingmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Advice on resetting my modem

Hi guys. I come to you with a bit of an embrassing problem.

I am currently trying to log into my router for the first time since I completed the initial setup. The only problem is that I can't remember my password.

I've tried the default admin - sky details along with any other password I have that I might have applied but nothing has worked.

When I checked on the Netgear support site, they advise that the only way of sorting this is to reset the modem competely.

Now, I've checked the instructions and feel perfectly happy about doing so but does anyone know of any issues that it's going to cause if I do? Or does anyone know how I could find out my password as well?

2. Advertisement
      psychocandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rhiwderin
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Advice on resetting my modem

So have you ever logged in to the router?

If not then its still going to be admin/sky unless you've changed it.

I would imagine that reset to factory settings would reset it to your initial settings (including login name etc). Otherwise, the sky support people would have a hell of a time with people like you !!! ;-)

I'm not 100% sure though !!!
      Last edited by Saturday; 15-05-07 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post
      Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Boring as it may seem, after years of losing vital notes on the back of envelopes I started using a scruffy, disorganised, logbook for my computers.

Sounds like re-setting the router is the answer -- it'll default to the standard Sky/Netgear router login settings.

It'll also reset to the original encryption passphrase (printed on the router's label and in Sky correspondence) so if connecting by wireless, make sure that's the one applied in the wireless adapter's user interface.

kingmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
      So have you ever logged in to the router?
      Oh yes, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do various port forwarding and what have you. I never normally alter the default settings, just to prevent this kind of stupid thing happening but it looks like I had a rush of blood to the head when setting things up.

Ah well. Lesson well and trul;y learnt here I think.