Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Access Point Please Help

This is a discussion on Access Point Please Help within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; please does anyone have any idea whats going on here im trying to type quick as i can only stay ...

paolo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: springburn
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Access Point Please Help

please does anyone have any idea whats going on here im trying to type quick as i can only stay online maybe 2/10 minutes before im off. what happens is if you hover over the wireless icon in system tray it has altered to (access point) instead of sky 123 etc. and if you change to a web page you cannot browse, it says cannot find server also the start button changes style from xp to a more basic option as in win95/98, this happens also using ethernet and is driving us crazy ive tried sky,netgear and gateway our laptop brand to no avail any help would be most appreciated btw it still looks like we are connected to web we just cant move.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Access Point Please Help

also the start button changes style from xp to a more basic option as in win95/98
      This suggest there may be a problem with your OS. There are instances on the web of 3rd party adapter software interfering with Windows and vice-versa. I would advise you to run System File Checker, see if that turns anything up.
      To do this go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:
      sfc /scannow. If files have been changed you will be asked to put in your XP CD, so have it ready.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i dont have any cd it came pre loaded

tried it just now after posting below and it says windows cannot find sfc/scannow.
      Last edited by paolo; 14-05-07 at 03:22 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i am on the phone at the moment to netgear and its hopeless cant understand the guy at all just fobbing me off with go back and phone sky. only reason im online is if you turn the laptop on and connect right away via ethernet it recognises it and seems to be better, yet if you connect via wireless at first and it changes on system tray to access point it doesnt matter if you plug in the cable it isnt recognised and you have to reboot. as i type the icon keeps changing from sky to acc. point and back again but im still able to browse ,why is this?

Thanks

If you don't have the CD it is still possible to run SFC. When you are asked for the CD, browse to the i386 folder on your hard disk. It will be in C:\ or maybe C:\Windows.

The reason you are getting a negative is that you have not left a space between the C in SFC and the /, copy and paste this into the Run box sfc /scannow and it will work.

Do you have the Windows and the Adapter software both turned on for your wireless connection. If so, turn one of them off.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

did as you said and nothing turned up, as far as 2 softwares running ive suspected we did do something when this first occurred as i wasnt even aware that intel software was on the laptop as well as win.stuff so dont know what damage weve done although my son says when it happened all he tried to do was repair as usual and it was as if the pro set intel stuff was interfering, but over the weeks it has been intermittent working brill for 2 weeks then back again.when it occurs if you right click tor repair it says win. cannot configure, if you want to do this turn on the WZC yet if you check the intel icon it tells you win. is managing this adapter and you cant search for networks either you have to restart. i got talked through to check the WZC service and it still did not work for long. i have not changed any settings in the router. i can type this because ive discovered if we connect with ethernet right away it seems to be allright with the icon saying "access point", but if you plug the cable in after connecting via wireless and the problem starts ethernet is not recognised then. know this is prattling on but its doing our heads in.

Thanks

Yes it looks like your network managers are having a scrap. Try turning off the Windows one and see if the Intel one can configure itself.