Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I erase sky router so it can be used with another ISP

This is a discussion on Can I erase sky router so it can be used with another ISP within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just been to friends house who got so pee'd off with Sky that he told them to stuff it and ...

ian3116 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I erase sky router so it can be used with another ISP

Just been to friends house who got so pee'd off with Sky that he told them to stuff it and has gone with TalkTalk. They still have the Sky Netgear wireless router (which they paid an extra 20 for) and Sky have never asked for it back. Talk Talk have sent an ordinary adsl router and I said that if I can convert the sky router to a bog standard one i.e. no embedded username and password, they can use the wireless to save them running a phone cable form one room to another to get online.

Any idea how to wipe the Sky router completely clean so I can use the Talk Talk username and password?

2. Advertisement
      Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: Can I erase sky router so it can be used with another ISP

Paid 20 for the Sky router? Sky charge nothing for the router, the wireless adaptor comes at 20 though so this is probably the 20 you mention.
      With regards to using it with another providor, there are posts in the forum explaining how to flash it with netgears own firmware.
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

DontHurtMe is offline Junior Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

First off, I'd like to ask why you informed your friends of this when you weren't entirely sure that it was possible? I'd also like to second what Russ said about the Router costing them 20? If the wireless router was an optional extra it would be at a higher price than that! I don't think its possible! The Sky router is shipped with Sky's settings on it and im not sure they can be removed.. You could possibly check out the Netgear Homepage and see if there are any firmware updates for that model of router, I think installing any new firmware would delete the Sky stuff... I couldn't guarantee that though!

julessandra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ashton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi ian, yes you can! have a look ere ive done it! it will allow you to put in your own username & password!
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-r...assword-6.html

ian3116 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In answer to all the responses to this question...

Firstly, the friend in question is in his 60's and not very computer literate. His old HP Pavilion computer only had 128mb ram. The only reason he is in this mess is that the PC only had 128mb ram and no network card. Both Sky and TalkTalk engineers didn't want to know so he has turned to me. His wife told me they had bought the router from Sky. Perhaps it was free and the 20 was for the USB adaptor. I can only go on what I'm told. I didn't say I could erase Sky from the router. I said that "if I could" erase Sky from the router, they could use that with manual settings for Talk Talk.

I shall try flashing the unit once he is up and running with the equipment supplied by TalkTalk and then take it from thiere.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In all honesty, if your friend isn't very computer literate he might be better off with the standard TalkTalk installation rather than getting into wireless with all its attendant issues -- unless you enjoy being an unpaid IT consultant.

I believe Talk Talk supply a bog standard modem with choice of USB or ethernet connection. Extending the phone isn't ideal but it's easy. Alternatively, fitting a NIC card is cheap and ultra simple -- and a longish ethernet cable won't break the bank.