Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router Lights Flashing every 5 sec

This is a discussion on Router Lights Flashing every 5 sec within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a very strange problem. My router lights turn on (power and internet), the orange light is on for ...

Zubair is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prestwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router Lights Flashing every 5 sec

I have a very strange problem. My router lights turn on (power and internet), the orange light is on for a while, then after 5 seconds all the lights turn off and then on again. This process repeats itself in a loop, pressing reset doesn't help, neither does moving the router to a different AC socket.

The last thing I changed on the line is that about two weeks ago I installed the ADSL Nation's XTE-2005. My noise margin went up because of this and meant that since I installed it I could consistently get a speed within the 6mbps range - before it would hop between 5-7mbps during the day.

Anyway, since I set it up, it's been working flawlessly. Then a few days ago I was browsing the net and all of a sudden my network went down. I've called Sky and they said they will be sending me a new router in 5 working days. I could do with net access before then so I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this or know of a solution?

Also, anyone know of a good dial up service to use for now??

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

5 working days gone, no replacement router... :(

5 working days later and still not received a new router. I called Sky the other day on 08706005630 as well as 08702404040, but I keep getting through to a call centre abroad that knows very little about what is happening with it. Tried to get them to tell me my username and password so that I can use my own router for a while and they told me 'Admin' and 'sky'..... lOl

Does anyone know any numbers that take you through to someone in the UK?

murdock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Router Lights Flashing every 5 sec

"Also, anyone know of a good dial up service to use for now??"

Zubair. I hope you get the router fast.

Read the article below for dial up back up -
      especially MIPcards.

Internet Access: The cheapest way to dial up. | MoneySavingExpert: Consumer Revenge, Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more,

Broadband -First Time Set Up:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...me-set-up.html
      Email Alternatives:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-e...ernatives.html
      Last edited by murdock; 16-05-07 at 03:48 PM.

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
      I have a very strange problem. My router lights turn on (power and internet), the orange light is on for a while, then after 5 seconds all the lights turn off and then on again. This process repeats itself in a loop, pressing reset doesn't help, neither does moving the router to a different AC socket.

The last thing I changed on the line is that about two weeks ago I installed the ADSL Nation's XTE-2005. My noise margin went up because of this and meant that since I installed it I could consistently get a speed within the 6mbps range - before it would hop between 5-7mbps during the day.

Anyway, since I set it up, it's been working flawlessly. Then a few days ago I was browsing the net and all of a sudden my network went down. I've called Sky and they said they will be sending me a new router in 5 working days. I could do with net access before then so I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this or know of a solution?

Also, anyone know of a good dial up service to use for now??
      I have the same problem. Saturday it was working fine and now I have a flashing orange light and no connection. Called them Sunday and I am awaiting a call back from the almighty Tier 3 team. As Sky sent me 3 routers for some reason when I signed up I tried a 2nd router last night but it made no difference.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: An update, and possible free dialup solution....

Cheers for that Murdock. That was an interesting read, especially about the lo-call and local rates :-S. The MIP cards sound good but I am using some of my mobile's 500 free inclusive minutes for dialup access at the moment. I have a mobile phone that can act as a bluetooth modem. Using that with my bluetooth laptop, I am dialing up using the Aardvaak ISP to dial a 0845 number that should come under my o2 monthly minutes. I am connecting at an incredibly slow speed of 9.6kbps and very high latency. But I have IE7 with disabled images, sounds, etc. and it seems to be alright for checking my email and accessing wiki (whilst I revise for my exams!) - but browsing this forum at 9.6kbps, even with images and such turned off, is like watching paint dry!

Here's a quote from their website in case anyone is interested in trying the same thing:
      We don't charge anything - you simply dial-up using our 0845 numbers, for 56k, 64k ISDN and 128k ISDN. All of the calls will be charged at LOCAL call rates by your telephone provider. Check with them for special discounts for frequently dialled numbers.

Dial up from anywhere in the UK using Modems, Mobile Phones, PDAs and from any telephone provider. If you are an O2 pay monthly customer then you can use Aardvaak from your mobile phone and the calls are part of your free monthly allowance!
      Problems connecting? Try 0845 662 1009 and use guest@smartemail.co.uk as the username and guest as the password.
      source:Aardvaak

JamieBee, I'm thinking maybe your issue is perhaps not the router. If it's two routers with flashing orange light, then maybe it's a line/exchange issue? My problem is actually that ALL of the router's lights turn on and off - I can't even get LAN working on it.

I called Sky the other day and they said it was "actioned" (whatever that means) on the 15th so it should be 5 working days(!) from then too. Actually managed to get a department number from them that gets you through to someone in the UK. I don't have the number at hand, but if anyone needs it I can dig it up and post it. Anyway, she said that I would have to wait for the router and no matter how long it takes she can't give me my username and password. She did say that I can be compensated my monthly fee if I call back once I get my router so what can you do really...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: An update, and possible free dialup solution....

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
      Cheers for that Murdock. That was an interesting read, especially about the lo-call and local rates :-S. The MIP cards sound good but I am using some of my mobile's 500 free inclusive minutes for dialup access at the moment. I have a mobile phone that can act as a bluetooth modem. Using that with my bluetooth laptop, I am dialing up using the Aardvaak ISP to dial a 0845 number that should come under my o2 monthly minutes. I am connecting at an incredibly slow speed of 9.6kbps and very high latency. But I have IE7 with disabled images, sounds, etc. and it seems to be alright for checking my email and accessing wiki (whilst I revise for my exams!) - but browsing this forum at 9.6kbps, even with images and such turned off, is like watching paint dry!

Here's a quote from their website in case anyone is interested in trying the same thing:

source:Aardvaak

JamieBee, I'm thinking maybe your issue is perhaps not the router. If it's two routers with flashing orange light, then maybe it's a line/exchange issue? My problem is actually that ALL of the router's lights turn on and off - I can't even get LAN working on it.

I called Sky the other day and they said it was "actioned" (whatever that means) on the 15th so it should be 5 working days(!) from then too. Actually managed to get a department number from them that gets you through to someone in the UK. I don't have the number at hand, but if anyone needs it I can dig it up and post it. Anyway, she said that I would have to wait for the router and no matter how long it takes she can't give me my username and password. She did say that I can be compensated my monthly fee if I call back once I get my router so what can you do really...
      Yes I agree that is probably a probably with the line/exchange as Error Code 100 actually means Line Fault according to the person I spoke to in the Tech Team on Sunday. I just thought I would try the router just to see if there was any change. It does not matter if I now use the 2nd router from now on does it as I cannot find the network key for the 1st one ?

If you don't mind posting the number I will prob use that tonight thanks as I am holding out hardly any hope that they will call day (day 5).

Getting a reduction in cost is reasonable aswell when you pay for a service and then go without broadband for a week but when you are only paying a fiver a month I suppose I will just have to grin and bare it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I cannot find the network key for the 1st one
      Did you change the key? If not the key is printed on a label on the router

If you did change it you will need to reset the router, push a biro in the little hole on the back for a few seconds.
      Last edited by Isitme; 19-05-07 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Add info

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The phone number that I used was 0870 5 515 515. I used it to speak to the CS department (option 1, 6, 5) and got through to a UK call centre. Hopefully does the same for Tech. Support too. Hope that helps.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Did you change the key? If not the key is printed on a label on the router

If you did change it you will need to reset the router, push a biro in the little hole on the back for a few seconds.
      Yes I did change the key. I assume it is ok that I am now using a different router to the one I was using when I originally phoned up ? I forgot the key was on the router and couldnt find the card with it on it for the 1st one.

Called Sky again Sat morning and was put through to Tier 3. Very predictably, I was given all the old baloney about "it is probably not working as you are using an extension cable". Now I have been using an extension ever since I signed up 2 months ago and it has been fine up until now. Any old excuse to fob me off. I told her this and she said all of a sudden the data may not be able to get through anymore. I also told her I had plugged my router into the master socket days before and it still would not work.

I have now had to plug it into the master socket and leave it while they pass it on to BT and call me back within 2 days. Ooo I wonder if I will get a call ! No doubt I will be ringing tonight again. 9 days without any connection now !