Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another router problem (may be UPnP related)

This is a discussion on Another router problem (may be UPnP related) within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've tried using those manual settings, wouldn't connect, rebooted the router, wouldn't connect, rebooted my PC, and it connected. The ...

SniperwolfDX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Another router problem (may be UPnP related)

I've tried using those manual settings, wouldn't connect, rebooted the router, wouldn't connect, rebooted my PC, and it connected. The use router as DHCP server is ticked

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using a manually configured IP still requires a reboot to get it to connect to the internet. Would buying a PCI network card have any effect on this? I've installed the ForceWare network drivers so I don't know why my motherboard's ethernet port is messing up like this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is just one thing I would like to suggest before you go to the expense of a new card. In the manual settings, take out the address of the router as the preferred DNS. I don't think you need anything here unless it is the Sky server address. You could try these which are-
      and

If you still fail to connect consistently, then your LAN card must be suspect.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Would be a shame if that's the case, as it's a brand new motherboard.

Couple more screenshots:

This is when the router won't connect to the internet

and this is one where it does (after a reboot)

It's just the fact that it only works after rebooting the PC that baffles me, rebooting the router does nothing it seems.

Thanks

Are these sceenshots when using manual settings? I cannot figure where the IP address and subnet are coming from in the first screen. That does not look like a Sky address and the subnet is wrong. Have you entered this address anywhere? Are you certain there is no malware on your machine?

If you tried the Sky addresses and they did not work, try these open ones
      208.67.222.222 -Prefered
      208.67.220.220 -Alternate.

If your board is new it is unlikely to be a hardware fault, but it could be a software corruption. You could try obtaining the latest drivers for the LAN card, uninstall it, then reinstall using the latest drivers. You could also try removing and reinstalling the Network Protocol.

mrtom2985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The problem doesn't stem from the fact that the DNS server is wrong, it stems from the fact that the computer is not taking an IP address from the router as it should.

The first screenshot is an example of what happens if the computer does not find a DHCP server to provide it with an IP address - Windows just generates its own address at random (within certain criteria). This leads to it not being able to talk to the router now, as it has an incompatible IP address and subnet. This is why I wanted to try manually assigning a compatible address, because then we can at least communicate with the router and see its settings.

However, the fact that you need to reboot is a little strange. Normally you would get straight on to the network without rebooting. So I am also inclined to think that something is not right with your on-board network hardware, or the network drivers, as Isitme suggests.

Do you have a spare router that you could use temporarily? If you did, then we could see what happens if you use this one instead, and hence try to eliminate the Sky router as the source of the problem.

Failing that, I would make sure the drivers are correct (sometimes you need to upgrade these from the CD that comes with the motherboard - sometimes they also require a certain Windows XP Service Pack).

If you still have no luck, then it could possibly be a hardware issue with the network interface. Is there anyone you could borrow a network card off to see if it makes a difference?

EDIT: I have just re-read your original post, and you say that you installed your new motherboard, but then did a Windows reinstall because things weren't running smoothly. Are you 100% sure that this problem was not present before the resintall, with the brand new motherboard in place?

If you are definitely sure, then it is most likely a driver issue on your PC, as all the hardware was already in place and working, and the only thing that has changed is your Windows install.
      Last edited by mrtom2985; 14-05-07 at 02:43 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I do have a spare router yes, however from all of the info in this topic I really do not think it is the router, despite having the UPnP bug it worked fine on my old hardware for 4 months. I have installed the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard, a specific driver called Nvidia ForceWare Network Access Manager.

Come to think of it, when I was installing all my drivers and getting Windows Updates, the router connected straight away, but when I powered the PC down for a while (since rebooting my PC when the router is working doesn't stop it from working) and turned it back on, I got the problem i'm getting now.

This problem WAS occuring before my windows reformat I assure you, I did a format since I took 2 hard drives into a completely new hardware setup and things were not working so well.

I am almost 100% sure that this is a driver issue, it's just whether or not I can fix it or be forced to buy a PCI network card.

Thanks

Now that you mention the Forceware network drivers I recall some users in another forum had problems with them. Something to do with the controller conflicting with the SATA controller. Some were in the position of having Dual LAN and solved the problem by using the Marvel NIC, Asus board if I recall correctly. Others were still looking for a solution. I don't suppose you have dual LAN. If I remember any more I will post it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12