Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need Clarification!!

This is a discussion on Need Clarification!! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Although my speed is sort of stable now (after a disconnect the day after installation) I'm still trawling the forums ...

Hopeful is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Need Clarification!!

Although my speed is sort of stable now (after a disconnect the day after installation) I'm still trawling the forums to glean any tips on router settings.

Just need clarification as to:

a) Why it's better to have auto 108Mbps mode ( at the moment g&b and channel 6).

b) How does broadcasting SSID stop others from parking on the same channel?

c) Should I switch on remote management and restict IP access to those computers on my network (at the moment its on everyone by default, would this stop Sky from upgrading your firmware as I've changed my password anyway).

d) Have seen on a few posts to turn UPnP off, but no explanation as to why.

e) In the router statistic should I change the poll interval or leave as 10 secs?

f) At present my Dwnstrm NM is between 5.9 and 6.1db no disconnections though like the other day, is this okay for the time day?

Just need to understand the above, would be really grateful for feedback.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Need Clarification!!

a) I'm not sure it is better. In my experience going to 108 forces you onto channel 6 which may not be good for some (due to neighbours using 6) but as you're on it already, perhaps no problem.

b) Broadcasting SSID warns others that you are on a particular channel and if they have sense they'll select a different one.

c) I don't know about remote management (except that it may be a security issue). Restricting IP or MAC ID access isn't a bad idea but is no substitute for encryption. I wouldn't use it because I keep using different computers and adapters.

d) UPnP as I understand it is relevant to P2P downloading -- but it's defective on the Sky firmware and can cause intermittent disconnection (it did with us).

e) I don't think this is worth worrying about.

f) Let the experts comment.
      Last edited by fihart; 06-05-07 at 03:42 PM.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

f) Your noise margin floating about 5.1db isnt too bad, If the errors on the line build up, Then it could lead to a disconnection.
      I find that my NM, drops at ~6pm, and back up at ~2am. If you keep an eye on it, And it does go any lower some would class 5db as breaking point but anyway, Have a read of; Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained
      That should explain that more.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Need Clarification!!

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      c) I don't know about remote management (except that it may be a security issue). Restricting IP or MAC ID access isn't a bad idea but is no substitute for encryption. I wouldn't use it because I keep using different computers and adapters.
      Can someone explain encryption?

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

a) If your using the supplied by Sky wireless adaptor i believe setting the router to auto 108 ( channel 6 ) is done so the adaptor connects at 108kbps. The other settings only connect at 54kbps.

b)By hiding the SSID it wont stop anyone "parking" on your channel' If Enabled, the SSID will broadcast its name to all Wireless Stations. Stations which have no SSID (or a "null" value) can then adopt the correct SSID for connections to this Access Point.

c) Set up remote management? .... Remote Management Help
      Using the Remote Management menu, you can allow a user on the Internet to configure, upgrade and check the status of your Router.
      DO you really need to do this? if not don't do it!

d)UPnP......Universal Plug and Play
      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a set of computer network protocols promulgated by the UPnP Forum. The goals of UPnP are to allow devices to connect seamlessly and to simplify the implementation of networks in the home (data sharing, communications, and entertainment) and corporate environments. UPnP achieves this by defining and publishing UPnP device control protocols built upon open, Internet-based communication standards.

The term UPnP is derived from Plug-and-play, a technology for dynamically attaching devices to a computer directly.

e)Leave the poll interval alone, why change it?

f)quote: At present my Dwnstrm NM is between 5.9 and 6.1db no disconnections though like the other day, is this okay for the time day?

What time of the day? In the evening your noise level will go down so reboot the router around 7-8PM ish and it should stay stable at whatever time of the day you log on.
      Last edited by Russ; 06-05-07 at 07:17 PM.
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Need Clarification!!

Okay, I asked all the questions because I wanted it explained in laymans terms, I'm not a techie this is my first Router, I was AOHell for '5' years!!!

b) The reason why I asked was because when I search for other wireless networks via the laptop, I can see their SSID but there is no indication of what channel they are on. How can you tell if some else in on the same channel as you?

c) I read somewhere that you should switch off remote management so that your router cannot be accessed wirelessly, that's why I asked about turning it on. At the moment I can access my router from the wireless laptop as well as my main PC connected by ethernet, if I can do this then doesn't that mean that a [I]Potential[I] hacker could also gain control of my router this way?

d) I kinda understand what its for, I just wanted to know why I should switch it off?

e) I meant at the time I posted this thread at 2.14pm, bearing in mind that the NM drops in the evening if the NM is that low then if it dropped any lower later this evening then I may get disconnected like I did the other day when it dropped to 6.1db, I only knew to reboot because of what I had read on the forum.

I don't mean to be a pain, I have spent many hours on this forum reading up on Sky BB thats why I decided to change ISP because the support on here is brilliant but there are just a few things that I'm not sure about and would like to be clear on. Thanks to those who have posted replies already, much appreciated.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Just asking why should you switch UPnp off when it's causing you no problems? For some it seems to help their disconnection problems although i have no idea as to why? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
      c) I read somewhere that you should switch off remote management so that your router cannot be accessed wirelessly, that's why I asked about turning it on. At the moment I can access my router from the wireless laptop as well as my main PC connected by ethernet, if I can do this then doesn't that mean that a [I]Potential[I] hacker could also gain control of my router this way?

Remote management should turned off by default. Although it's set to allow access to "Everyone", that setting only comes into play if Remote Management is actually enabled.

Remote Management isn't the same as you or someone connected to your network accessing the router via e.g. 192.168.0.1

Remote Management enables remote access to the router, so e.g. if you were at work you could stick your Sky BB IP address into your web browser, log onto your router, & then do whatever with it.

I'd just leave it turned off.

To help prevent others gaining access to your router:

1) Make sure you have the wireless security enabled, preferably WPA (or WPA2 if everything supports it), or at least WEP. The Sky router is supplied with WPA enabled by default (WPA-PSK = WPA Pre-Shared Key).

2) Change the router's default admin password ("sky").

3) Change the default SSID on the router, so others don't know you're using Sky.

4) Enable Wireless Station Access Control (MAC filtering), via the router's wireless settings (edit Wireless Station Access List).