Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky say i cant port forward with my router. True?

This is a discussion on Sky say i cant port forward with my router. True? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I recently got sky broadband and straight away was not able to open ports in the router firewall. Everytime i ...

amar_thadon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky say i cant port forward with my router. True?

I recently got sky broadband and straight away was not able to open ports in the router firewall. Everytime i click on the firewall settings on the router settings page it just goes bak to the last page.

After weeks i finally got a call from teer 3 assisstance except he told me that my router will not let me open ports and that i had a choice i can turn off the whole fire wall or keep it and get slow download speeds. i Should be getting 500kb/s but instead im getting 20kb/s. Have sky blocked people from opening ports or are sky just being lazy and cant be bothered sorting out my problem.
      What should i do?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky say i cant port forward with my router. True?

The router you have is capable of opening ports, by clicking on the Firewall Rules section of it.

If yours is doing like you say, then it may possibly be a faulty router.

Sky do not block any ports on Base, Mid or Max, however to use Torrents etc you will need to open ports. The last thing you want to do is disable the Firewall.

You are going to have to try a couple of things. Try disabling any software firewall you have, ie Norton, McAfee etc and then try. Failing this you will have to ring Sky and try to get your router swapped for one that does what it is supposed to.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

amar_thadon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thats the problem, everytime i go into firewall rules and then try to add service it just re directs me to the router settings home page.

I told them the routers faulty. They say theres nothing wrong with the router, so how do i force them to send me a new router?

ossie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thanet
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Before accessing Firewall Rules did you add the port to Services first?

robinhood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Sky do not block any ports on Base, Mid or Max, however to use Torrents etc you will need to open ports.
      Regarding the problem I had with Netmeeting software, I am told by Sky now that they don't block any ports and I have to contact Netgear. But this is contrary to some suggestions that I had from Sky before ( ports may possibly be blocked to prevent p-p file sharing..)

But netgear says I have to contact Sky because it is their FW. Now you also say that Sky doesn't block ports. Are you sure about this ? If that's the case, do you think I should also ask for a new router ?

Sorry I am not trying to hijack this thread, but desperately trying to find a solution to the problem that I have ( seems to be going around in circles..)

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I just have my router access as DMZ...never had a virus/attack as I'm careful and then you get full access to net traffic - a lot easier IMO

ronburgess is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crewe (Haslington)
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: SkyHD anytime+
      Thanks

ports are not blocked! you dont have to forward ports to get p2p working on the sky router (DG834gt) I've tried it with forwarding and without . You CAN set port forwarding by creating a rule like Ossie says (services addr ule -give it a name, (i use tcp/udp setting) enter the port your p2p software is using - most p2p software have confgurable port connection so there is not one answer, then enter the ip of your computer, if you have only 1 comp and you ue DHCP it will probably be 192.168.0.2. or set your comps ip address and enter that in. (if you change your ip address you will have to retart your comp)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronburgess View Post
      ports are not blocked! you dont have to forward ports to get p2p working on the sky router (DG834gt) I've tried it with forwarding and without . You CAN set port forwarding by creating a rule like Ossie says (services addr ule -give it a name, (i use tcp/udp setting) enter the port your p2p software is using - most p2p software have confgurable port connection so there is not one answer, then enter the ip of your computer, if you have only 1 comp and you ue DHCP it will probably be 192.168.0.2. or set your comps ip address and enter that in. (if you change your ip address you will have to retart your comp)
      I am not sure if this needs to move to a new thread. However, I am not using p-p at all. I want to use Netmeeting and my firewall rules say all ports allowed outwards and DMZ is set to IP address of my PC. I ran netmeeting from NTL Cable using my PC for nearly 5 years in 3 different PCs ( i don't have this connection anymore) it works. But with Sky it doesn't . I did take some wireshark traces in both cases and I found missing TCP ack from Sky. Now this could be router or Sky network. Sky guys told me that the ports may be blocked because they are trying to block p-p. Today they tell me no ports are blocked. I was advised to contact netgear, who says I should contact Sky because it is a skyspecific fw. The router logs does not show any packets dropped or blocked. Sky says they don't support their router and support has to go through netgear. I don't know what kind of c..p service they are running. They don't even have a record of my call which I made in the morning when I called up to tell them about Netgear's response.

I have still got the Wireshark traces if you would care to look at and help .

I use DHCP, but have reserved IP to MAC addresses so that my PC gets always same IP address.

I have now no idea where to go from here. One question which i am still not sure is, is there a difference between allowing all ports and specific ports in this scenario. I have all opened..
      Last edited by robinhood; 10-05-07 at 06:52 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amar_thadon View Post
      I recently got sky broadband and straight away was not able to open ports in the router firewall. Everytime i click on the firewall settings on the router settings page it just goes bak to the last page.

After weeks i finally got a call from teer 3 assisstance except he told me that my router will not let me open ports and that i had a choice i can turn off the whole fire wall or keep it and get slow download speeds. i Should be getting 500kb/s but instead im getting 20kb/s. Have sky blocked people from opening ports or are sky just being lazy and cant be bothered sorting out my problem.
      What should i do?

My apologies.. I feel like I have hijacked your post.. Was getting really frustrated..

However, your problem may also have been caused by problems with your browser as the pages use Java and frames. Try this.. Right click on Firewall rules on the left frame and select "open in new window" or new tab ( depending on the browser you use.).. Check if it opens a new window and you are able to make changes. Maybe something wrong with your browser or Java settings. If it doesn't work, maybe worth trying to reset the router..

It is possible to setup port forwarding as mentioned previously by experts in this forum. I have seen it work properly - at least for some of the service I use.)

kipper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

dont know what is going on with you guys, I use PnP to download and have never even thought of all those things you are all on about! I just do it! Sorry if you are having problems I certainly do not!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast