Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I feel dumb!

This is a discussion on I feel dumb! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there, I've been scouring the forums for the answer to my problem, but sadly no joy. I got Sky ...

bobson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy I feel dumb!

Hi there, I've been scouring the forums for the answer to my problem, but sadly no joy.

I got Sky Broadband about six months ago, and after the usual nonsense with activation, dropped connections etc things were actually going pretty well for several months. By the way, I'm using my ethernet cable, not wireless.

About two weeks ago I lost my connection and have never got it back. Not only can I not connect to the internet, I can't connect to my router. I phoned Sky and went through lots of IP settings, none of which worked. Outcome: they declared my router faulty and sent me another. But I still can't connect.

IPCONFIG gives me the following info:
      IP Address : 192.168.0.2
      Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
      Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

I can ping 192.168.0.2 fine, but pinging 192.168.0.1 results in "Request timed out"

Browsing to 192.168.0.2 in Firefox gives me "Can't establish a connection to the server". Browsing to 192.168.0.1 gives me "the connection has timed out"

My Local Area Connection settings are "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"

Strangely enough, when I check the status of my Local Area Connection it says it's connected at 100Mbps. Packets sent is 16, packets received is 4. And there's no yellow error icon by Network Connections icons.

My net adapter is listed as "1394 Net Adapter" (NVIDIA I think) and has all the vanilla settings the LAN one does.

Overall, I'm really confused as to what the problem is here. It seems that even if my phone line was faulty I should still be able to browse to my router.

Grateful for any advice!

Cheers
      Rob

2. Advertisement
      MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: I feel dumb!

This sounds like a possible firewall issue. Try disabling/uninstalling any firewall you have running and try again.

bobson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, I've switched off Zone Alarm, and my Windows firewall is disabled.

This was actually the cause of some previous problems with connection dropping, and was fixed by lowering the level of security in Zone Alarm. But now I can't get anything even with the firewall switched off.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

"1394 Net Adapter"
      This looks like a Firewire adapter to me. Although it can be usd for networking, it is not an ethernet adapter, which you need to connect to the Sky router. You should have another Network adapter which operates with ethenet. If it is not showing in your network connections, I would say you need to install the drivers for it. Look in the Device Manager, if you see a yellow exclamation mark next to an item, this is what is is. Reinstall the drivers and you should have no problems.