Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky fast broadband is a joke-from the off.

This is a discussion on Sky fast broadband is a joke-from the off. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I must say that I am realy fed up with sky at the moment, they advertise high speed broadband to ...

michael johnson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down Sky fast broadband is a joke-from the off.

I must say that I am realy fed up with sky at the moment, they advertise high speed broadband to a very fast speed- which I stupidly signed up to, I am seriously thinking of changing back to BT or something else.
      The reason I am so fed up with them is because they provide this stupid little netgear router that is quite incapable of handling high speed traffic and does not even give G-mimo speeds or the new draft N speeds of up to 300 mps. so I went out and bought a new netgear (Next) N-Draft modem router in order to achieve this, only to find that despite several days of trying it is nearly impossible to connect to sky broadband with it,

What is the point of sky advertising very high broadband speeds up to max speed if it is all absolutly wasted once it gets as far as the ridiculous router they provide that cant handle the speeds.

Why cant sky provide alternative high speed routers (at a Price) that is totaly compatable with their system as an alternative choice to those customers that want them- even G-Mimo would be better, but N-Draft would be the best.

As it is now I cant reach my other laptop computer upstairs because the signal just is not strong enough- no other equipment to boost the signal seems compatable with sky- si I am really fed up-and thinking of ditching them for another ISP, why must sky be so darned difficult to use equipment on in order to achieve better results for individual customers- in my opinion one should be able to go out and buy any good draft N router /modem and be able to connect up to sky internet just as easy as that.
      Sky need to pull their socks up pretty darned quick about that point, if they want to keep their customers.

2. Advertisement
      GrahamS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Beauchief (SLBC)
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky fast broadband is a joke-from the off.

I am another new customer. I would be happy just to get my 4-5Meg download speeds consistently and be able to play an occasional rubber of Guild Wars, but alas it is not to be.

Initially I got good download speeds, but am now consistently only managing about 40 KB/s. I have a wired connection into the back of the router thrugh a switch/hub elsewhere in the house. Something has happened but I don't know what. I have filled in their contact form but confidence is low that I will get a tailored response.

Our wireless is functioning alot worse than under Pipex where I used the same base router (there could be differences in firmware etc).

As a family we have noted a distinct degradation in performance and service. We need to continually 'repair' Internet connections from the Windows machines as the DNS appears to have disappeared.

To cap it all I am now discovering that Guild Wars seems to be continually losing its connection to the server making the game unplayable.

I'll stick with it for now and see if I can work through to a solution that returns us to an adequate service. There are already rumblings in the household that we should pay more and return to a better quality service. I have to say that our needs are fairly modest, and Sky appear unable to meet them.

Disappointing.

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

seems when you first sign up to sky your on a 10 day training period my first day lines kept dropping seems stable now although i must say the speeds are rubbish

pwoolley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As far as i am aware there is no 10 ten training period with LLU, Connect users yes there is the 10 day TP

If all 3 of you post your line stats then the guys in the know on this forum will be able to advise you more so that you get better speeds(if attn allows)
      Last edited by pwoolley; 29-04-07 at 11:24 AM. Reason: more info

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, (especially Michael J). You have to extract the code for the user name and password from the Sky router if you want to user a different model. See tutorials and forums above, particularly Technical Discussions, Jose Cardoso's post.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

I`m sure if you look through the forum you`ll find various posts that help explain dropped connections, poor speeds, poor online games playing etc, and weirdly enough you may find it isnt because Sky offer 'this stupid little netgear router'. There are lots of reasons for poor speeds which i`m sure the posts will explain.
      I believe most of the isp's offer 'this stupid little netgear router' these days?

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I think AOL and Be* offer it aswell..

Attermire is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
      I`m sure if you look through the forum you`ll find various posts that help explain dropped connections, poor speeds, poor online games playing etc, and weirdly enough you may find it isnt because Sky offer 'this stupid little netgear router'. There are lots of reasons for poor speeds which i`m sure the posts will explain.
      I believe most of the isp's offer 'this stupid little netgear router' these days?

the netgear routers suck ass, i've had 2, they both crap out, disconnect, drop their dns, hard and soft lock,
      my speedtouch router performs flawlessly however.