Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No internet light but

This is a discussion on No internet light but within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; when I go into the connection's properties in windows everything is fine as far as IP , subnet, and data ...

JaapStam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question No internet light but

when I go into the connection's properties in windows everything is fine as far as IP, subnet, and data transmission.

Getting dead pages in IE, all settings there are correct.

It's unfortunately on a Vista machine, and on the connection icon in the system tray it says connection is 'local only'.....

The diagnostics show the pc to router connection but nothing from router to the net, yet all this data is still transmitting.

It has been activated since the 19th apparently and they have been on the phone to the sky help desk monkeys to no avail.

Any ideas anyone?
      Last edited by JaapStam; 28-04-07 at 07:35 PM.

2. Advertisement
      newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: No internet light but

are you saying the same as me

strange one

JaapStam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't know mate, could be.

These guys have never had any connection according to the router's internet light, and according to internet explorer which cannot load pages, howvere in the connection's properties, there is data throughput.

I couldn't get into the router config page when I last looked because good old sky had changed the password from th default netgear ones that everyone else uses, but when I do I'll check out the upnp setting that I've read about on here.

The average joe has no clue about these things though and it's a pretty poor show all round from sky what with their messing with a decent router etc.

They are silly billies.

TRIaXOR™ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSDRU
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

you guys set your Local IPs to static? if so, have you set the Gateway/DNS settings correctly?

hope that helps..

[edit]

Is your router synching at all with the exchange? if not, the activity could be UPnP traffic between router and PC..
      Last edited by TRIaXOR™; 29-04-07 at 02:56 PM. Reason: just noticed title, d'oh
      Powered by Sky Broadband Unlimited

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

i really dont know as i said i had the little internet connection pic in the taskbar when i first set up the router now its gone and all thats there is the ethernet card connection (LAN)

it used to say 6mb connection now says connected:100.0 Mbps

all i want is to know what my connection is when i boot up

i dont want to keep doing speed tests i cant tell anything anymore
      in the past day i disabled UPnP because i kept getting diconnected im not getting dissconnected now but have lost that internet connection icon

ps i dont think im on a static ip
      Last edited by newskyBOd; 29-04-07 at 03:14 PM.

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

this is really strange i had a look what wireless connections i have and suddenly the icon came back bit fed up as it says speed 4.7 Mbps should be 6Mbps

i must add i dont have any wireless connections setup all wired so why is this happening

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

now my internet connection is dropping again

what is going on with all this i know a bit about pc's god help anyone who dosent

it happens when i enable/disable UPnP
      Last edited by newskyBOd; 29-04-07 at 03:41 PM.

blusox69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've got the same problem, powering off the oruter then back on a few times plus a minute or two wait seems to cure it. But I'm not happy with having to do this. Had Sky Max for a week now, when I phoned the help line the guy didn't have a clue and kept getting "confused" as to what my problem was, tried telling me it was probably my home wiring, which I said was rubbish as I'd had 2 other IPS's over the years who have had no problems. It was at this point that I told him that I'm a cisco certified network engineer and it looked like the router was the problem as it was unlikely to be the wiring or the link from the exchange if its corrected every time by a reboot. The only other option was a problem with their configuration at the exchange which I would expect to be effecting anyone using my exchange.

After 10 minutes of my "rxpert" advice which I uauslly get pretty well paid for he piped up:

"it could be your master socket......."

Morons!!!

Just let us use our own routers!!!!!!!!!

I'm still batteling with sky to get the router replaced. I've tried a linksys router (cisco in disguise!) and even though its ADSL2 certified it doesn't pick up a DSL link. I'm going to try a regular netgear 834 tonight to see if that makes a difference, I'll keep you posted!!!