Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How secure is my Sky router

This is a discussion on How secure is my Sky router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; The decription of WPA-PSK earlier on doesn't give the full story. WPA-PSK ONLY uses the password stored in the router ...

greenglide is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedlington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: How secure is my Sky router

The decription of WPA-PSK earlier on doesn't give the full story.

WPA-PSK ONLY uses the password stored in the router and the PC for exchanging keys. This only occurs at connection times and periodically afterwards. The chances of breaking the PSK key are extremely small.

To break WPA-PSK encryption requires cracking the encryption during the period that the keys exchanged by the devices are in use. WEP is "weak" as the same key is used all of the time so the traffic can be monitored for a long period and the encryption broken. WPA-PSK keeps on changing the key in use to encrypt the data (the PSK key is only used to encrypt the keys) and is inherently more secure.

If you are at all worried about WPA-PSK security then do you use the internet at all? I think the wireless network with WPA-PSK is safer than committing any sort of traffic to the internet!

2. Advertisement
      armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Carrying on from what Greenglide said.

The attacks which exist for WPA work in the following way. You have to force a client to reauthenticate (because this is the period when they will use the PSK), this isn't too difficult to do. Next you have to bruteforce attack the cipher stream, which can be hard or very hard depending upon how complex the PSK is. So if you have a strong PSK with lots of random letters and numbers, you have little to worry about.

For even better security use WPA this uses AES which is a block cipher as opposed the to the RC4 stream cipher WPA (and WEP) use. WPA2 can still be bruteforce attacked but is more secure than WPA.

WEP is bad becuase it is inherently flawed. It uses weak initialisation Vectors (IV) which can with the right attacks repeat in under 5 minutes. It also use a small keyspace and has a poor checksum. Added together with static keys and it is general very poor security. WPA addressed this through stong IVs a larger keyspace, (MIC) message integrity check to replace the poor checksum and TKIP key rotation.

If you are really paranoid about security setup a FreeRADIUS and run WPA/WPA2 Enterprise. There are no known attacks on WPA2 Enterprise. The only real way is to get someones credentials, either username and password for things like PEAP and EAP/TTLS or get their certificate for cert based EAP Types.

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Alternatively, go to Welkom bij faradaycages.com

You just need to find one big enough to cover the whole house
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
      Alternatively, go to Welkom bij faradaycages.com

You just need to find one big enough to cover the whole house
      Surreal and highly ingenious. Quite the best contribution I've seen to a forum.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123