Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Am I connecting everything ok?

This is a discussion on Am I connecting everything ok? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello! I recieved my broadband equipment this week, and I decided to install everything so that when I recieved my ...

Getox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello!

I recieved my broadband equipment this week, and I decided to install everything so that when I recieved my letter to say that my internet had been activated, I could connect it straight away. I have spent most of the evening connecting in different ways to finally achieve the solid green internet light on the router. I tried to access my internet through this router after reading that sometimes you had activation before you recieved your letter, and I rang Sky to check on my order status and I was told that my broadband was activated on Wednesday 18th April.
      Therefore I am not sure if I have set up my connection ok, this is what it currently looks like.

The master phone socket has a extension cable from it into my living room, this extension cable has a socket on the end of it, which I then plugged in my skybb microfilter, from this filter, I connected the skybb router and a double phone adapter, this adapter has 2 cables going to the telephone and to the set top box. The adapter has an additional cable on it, which runs into the next room, there is another double phone adapter at the end of this cable with another microfilter plugged into it, a phone cable runs from this microfilter into the set top box in that room.

I was also wondering if there was any simple way I could put the sky broadband router in the room with the additional multiroom setop box as I have a xbox 360 and two computers in that room with shot cabaling, and the previous time I tried it there was no solid green internet light.

2. Advertisement
      greenwich is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Am I connecting everything ok?

Obvious question, but have you connected your PC to the router via an ethernet cable, or by wireless?

Try connecting to the router's home page http://192.168.0.1 and press the Sky Test button there to see if you're connected.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

yes I have been able to connect to the router but no it didn't connect to the internet.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It sounds like you have a bit of a 'Spaghetti junction' so the best way to start is to disconnect everything. Connect directly to the master socket through a filter, if you can, if it is not possible, use the shortest extension possible, placing the filter at the end of the extension. Connect the router to a PC using the ethernet cable. You should see the power light, the wireless connection light and the port light you are plugged into. If these are all present, open a browser and type the routers address into the bar. A pane will open asking for the username/password, type in admin for the name and sky for the password. The page will open for the router status. At the bottom of the page you will see 3 buttons, press the one for 'Connection Status'. This will bring up a pop up which should show you are connected. If it shows you are not connected, check that all your connections are properly made. Make sure you are only running through one filter, this is a common mistake which will degrade or even stop the connection.

In fact if you are properly connected, the browser will open a site as soon as you open it.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

After 4 days of repeated talking to tech support, they figured out it was a problem with my router, so I'm now having a new one sent out which will take 3 to 5 days to come. Not a great start for Sky and my happyness..

I'm still using my previous virgin media connection, which I cancelled and had to have reactivated as my family needs the internet for coursework and other sites.

Thanks Sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have a Virgin cable connection, you would be well advised to keep it running until you have Sky set up and performing to your satisfaction.
      Not many have this option and apart from anything else, it lets you get on to this forum for advice if you need it.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

can I do this via connection?

Master telephone socket ---> microfilter ---> skybb router + double phone adapter --> telephone + sky television box + phone adapter also goes into a different room --> connects to another sky television box

Also, is the problem with my internet likely to be with my router? I got a error code 200 when trying sky tests.

LinkBacks (?)