Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Security and windows98Se

This is a discussion on Security and windows98Se within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello. I am running a WindowsXP(SP2) laptop and an old Gateway Win 98Se desktop wirelessly. After some initial installation problems ...

davidmh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0118
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Security and windows98Se

Hello.

I am running a WindowsXP(SP2) laptop and an old Gateway Win 98Se desktop wirelessly. After some initial installation problems last summer all has gone well.

However I am still running the wireless without security. Time to change that.

Establishing security on the router seems fine. And also then making the required changes on the laptop system.

What do I do about the Windows 98 box which does not have an ethernet port so I cannot connect wired. I would still like to connect this in a secure wireless environment. Is this possible and if so does anyone know how I should do it? Where do I go in Windows 98 to make whatever changes I need to make. I am using a WG111T adapter.
      Thanks in advance.
      David

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Security and windows98Se

If your computer lacks a network connector, add a Network Interface Card (cost, peanuts for a PCI card for a desktop -- more if you have to go PCMCIA or USB). You really should have a means of connecting to the router by wire -- quicker, more reliable and inavaluable for setting-up tasks.

Obviously you CAN access the router wirelessly. So if you choose to risk it, go into the user interface (192.168.0.1 in the Internet Explorer address bar, User name is admin Password is sky). Go to the Wireless section of the router interface and apply a passphrase to WEP or WPA , select the first strip of hex characters as your Key 1 and make a note of the hex code there. Log out.

You will then have lost wireless contact until you apply the passphrase or Key 1 hex code to the wireless adapter's utility. If this doesn't work, don't panic. You will be able to access the router wirelessly by pressing the reset button on the back or base of the router.

But preferably see above and get a NIC.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Security and windows98Se

Thank you for that.

The laptop I can connect wired or wirelessly. There is no problem with making changes to the router or inputting the security changes to the laptop.

My problems are simply how do I access the wireless adapter's utility to make the changes to the adapter in Windows 98?

In control panel I have two internet icons - Internet Options (which is the usual one of General, Security, Privacy etc) and Network. If I go into Network I get Configuration, Identification and Access Control. Is it somewhere in there. Or do I make the changes via the Netgear WG111T wizard?

Thanks
      David

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm not running 98 so you may have to improvise a bit but, under XP,
      unless Windows is managing the connection, the Netgear WG111T wizard will have the facility to add encryption. If Windows is managing, some of the wizard options are not visible. In which case you can (hopefully) either use Windows to add encryption or (much better) don't let Windows manage and do it via the Netgear wizard.

I'd suggest you start by doing everything on the XP machine and establish the principles, before applying them to the 98 machine.
      Last edited by fihart; 20-04-07 at 03:42 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The other method you can use is enabling access control. Many prefer this to encryption as it does not slow the connection down. If you want to try this, open the router's control and click Wireless settings. Click the button for Setup Access list, and enter the names and MAC addresses of your PCs. After you have done this you can turn off any other security you have enabled. The only downside on this is if you have a visitor with a laptop who wants to go online, you will have to enter it's MAC address.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you.

Almost but not quite.

Bear in mind these have been working fine wirelessly in an unsecured environment.

Have accessed the router and initiated WEP security. No problem.

Have added WEP codes to laptop. Initially it wouldn't connect, then Windows wizard offered to sort it out, which it did. No problem.

Re windows 98SE, not yet!! Into the WG111T wizard indicated WEP, entered my passphrase and the WEP keycode appeared automatically. So we are obviously communicating with the router, signal strength is fine etc. However when I try and go on line I am getting " the page cannot be displayed" error message.

So there is obviously something simple but important I need to change within my Win 98Se/WG111T environment. It is something that Windows XP would probably have sorted for me - sadly Win 98 is not offering.

Any ideas?
      Thanks,
      David

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just noticed:

If I get the Netgear Smart Wizard Settings page up on both computers the obvious difference is that the Status Bar on the Win98 box shows no connection status area nor any IP address. Everything else is the same.

David

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Today's update.

I couldn't get the Windows 98se on line in a WEP secured environment. Netgear coud not help because of Sky having put Sky firmware on the router and Sky couldn't help as they do not support Windows 98se.

I have disabled security and made the simple changes in the two computers Netgear Wizard Settings. Both are now working on line without a problem. I have however entered their MAC numbers in the Router Access Control List. I am aware that this is without encryption but have always done the "important" stuff with a wired connection.

For my amusement I will try to set up WPA later. Netgear sell both the router and the WG111T adapter as Windows 98SE compatible. So maybe it does not work secured because of the SKY firmware. That seems odd bearing in mind that it works unsecured - with the same kit.

Any ideas on how to get secured or any theories as to why I cannot would be appreciated.
      Thank you
      David

PS the WIN 98 netgear Wizard doesn't show an IP address on the staus bar even when it is working - so that was something of a red herring.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

And finally:

Tried WPA this evening. It is now in place on both computers and both are now working on line fine. Secured at last. How odd.
      Regards, David