Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Router MTU on WAN side

This is a discussion on Sky Router MTU on WAN side within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Could anyone please let me know what would be the correct MTU to be used on Sky router WAN ...

robinhood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Router MTU on WAN side

Hi,

Could anyone please let me know what would be the correct MTU to be used on Sky router WAN side ? I checked various values over a period of time and I found that I get close to 1790 Kbps at 1478 and for any other values it drops down to 1750 or thereabouts..and That includes MTU=1500. Tried 1472 on advise from a colleague and get nearly 1770 or thereabouts.. This was not a one time test. The measurements were taken over a period of time and had consistent results..

I am also interested to see if the wrong MTU is causing the many issues that I have with accessing some web sites and some services ( particularly Netmeeting). I contacted Sky but no help from them ( they say I can access some web sites so the internet is working). I posted in this forum but no one seems to know why some services are not accessible via Sky..

I am not an IP expert so some guidance on the above would be very useful..

I am on a base package ie, 2048/416. I get consistently 1790 / 350 +-3~4

Are these expected values ?

I had checked on the internet and has found very confusing answers to the MTU.. My IP address is 90.192.x.x.

Thanks a lot

2. Advertisement
      LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Router MTU on WAN side

Download and run the application in this post. Click on largest MTU to find the highest unfragmented MTU for your connection.
      Last edited by LNB; 15-04-07 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Inserted link!
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks LNB, I had seen this post before and had tried TCPoptmiser. But then, it gives me a MTU value of 1500 ( which is what the Sky router had setup by default). But when I manually reduce the MTU on the WAN side of the router to 1478, it gives me at least ~45K extra.

Ony my PC now ( which is running WinXP Professional) MTU is not set in registry and my PC is connected to the router through a wired connection (100MB ethernet).

When I run TCPOptimiser from Speedguide.net, it also modifies my registry and adds TCPWindow size and so on. So MTU in Router at 1500 and PC at 1500 I should have got better speeds than when I have my registry as default and Router MTU set at 1478. hence the confusion.. I am not sure if I am missing something important here and being dumb ??

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This could suggest fragmentation at MTU 1500. Did you try the Largest MTU tab at the top of the Application window?
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks LNB,

I knew I was being dumb and careless...

I checked the MTU using your suggestion and saw it was really at 1478..

I was getting confused with the data shown on TCPAnalyser which always told me to use 1500. Also TCPOptimiser, then selects the value of 1500. I realised that this value needs to be enetered manually.. But changing values on my PC didn't make any difference in speed. Changing on router did. ( I have now changed the values on my PC to default...)

Thanks again..

Okay, now that the MTU is out of the question to find out why Netmeeting doesn't work..