Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Router problem

This is a discussion on Router problem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Yes, I have to pull the power plug out....

Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Yes, I have to pull the power plug out.

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      perhaps that is why when i reconnected using my other router after the fail it synced lower. ok i'll reattached the netgear and see how it goes. but i still think it has a tendendacy to lock-up anyway. i'd love to use my own router as i can use AES encryption which is more secure rather than TKIP - but i suppose rules are rules even if they are stupid.

irony is if it wans't for their crappy router i'd be singing sky's praises now as my download speeds have increased by 200k and uploads as increased as well
      Last edited by dingdong; 11-09-06 at 01:50 PM.

Julian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
      i'd love to use my own router as i can use AES encryption which is more secure rather than TKIP - but i suppose rules are rules even if they are stupid.

irony is if it wans't for their crappy router i'd be singing sky's praises now as my download speeds have increased by 200k and uploads as increased as well
      You (dingdong) said only a few posts back that " i will be using my linksys WAG54GS for skys connection once i am connected". I am pretty fond of Linksys routers and this is one escape route I was hoping would be available to me if I don't get on with the Netgear router, i.e. go and buy a Linksys ADSL2+ router and spoof the MAC address of the Netgear router.

What has changed between your two posts such that you now no longer appear to be considering using an alternative router?

- Julian

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      i am using it at the moment, but sky's t&c say you must use theirs. so i will try their replacement when it comes. i'm only using the linksys because the "first" router sky sent doesn't work.

if the second one doesn't work either, i'll carry on using my linksys until they decide whether or not to cancel my connection. i basically have nothing to loose by doing this. i would rather use theirs, and have no axe to grind other than i want a service i can use. using my own router gives me that.

i'm really hoping "common sense" will prevail and sky turn a blind eye. after all i'm doing nothing that will harm their network only using my connection for legal activites etc etc. and doing nothing that any other isp does at a matter of course.

The linksys also offers AES http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ption_Standard encryption without the need for a radius sever. this gives you better encryption than tkip - i was really suprised when i saw that the "latest" netgear product didn't offer it.
      Last edited by dingdong; 15-09-06 at 09:20 AM. Reason: just thought i'd add a bit about the security shortfall in netgear as well

Julian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks
      dingdong,

Thanks you for the explanation. I see your point (and agree with it) regarding it being better to follow the rules. I hope you get some satisfaction with Sky & the Netgear router. If you don't however, then I really wonder whether Sky are going to bother running regular probes to pull ident strings off everyone's routers and test them for compliance. If their only compliance testing is going to occur when you need to call tech support with a problem then, assuming you can duplicate the problem with the Sky-supplied router, you can always swap back for long enough for Sky to diagnose and fix whatever fault arises. Still, if SKy can provide a reliable Netgear setup then hopefully this won't be an issue.

For what it's worth, the security on the Netgear isn't an isuue for me at all and just maybe it doesn't need to be for you. I'll actually be down-tuneing my "outer" router (i.e. the one that connects me to the internet) to WEP so that some of my dumber clients like old PDAs can connect plus I have a pretty simple WEP key I can give to visitors who want to connect their laptops.

I also have a second router however (Linksys of course) that hangs off my first router and this is the one that is the gateway to my "inner" ultra secure network so I use WPA-TKIP on that with a totally random passkey (to avoid dictionary attack). I'll need to go and have a look as to whether it is practical to change to WPA-AES (I have at least one device where I am concerned about client support for this).

In any event, the above gives me total security control over my inner network and I've never had any performance problems cascading through the two routers.

Admitedly with the less secure "Outer" network it does make it easier for people to hijack my internet connection but I am more concerned about protecting the data on my PCs from real hackers trying to get in via the internet. I am pretty confident that even WEP security will deter my next door neighbours from trying to piggy-back onto my internet connection. A hacker coming in via the internet would need to get through my outer router, realise that there is another totally stealthed router into my inner network(i.e. they had only got into my living room and not found the safe behind the bookshelves) and then need to get through that inner router before they get to anything I care about.

- Julian (keeping router companies in business!)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      i agree that we can sometimes be a bit paranoid about security - looking at my neighbors i doubt if any of them know about wireless security let alone how to exploit it - i know this has 2 are connecting with security disabled, no mac filtering either - i could easily use their connections, if my sky one doesn't get sorted out i may well do that

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123