Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Router problem

This is a discussion on Router problem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; thanks guys. Will post results here tomorrow morning (when i briefly get in to work before a horrid Teambuilding day ...

tripodjw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Beeston
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks guys. Will post results here tomorrow morning (when i briefly get in to work before a horrid Teambuilding day at Center Parcs)

2. Advertisement
      Ratti3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      Would be really interesting to see the results of ipconfig as you cant see the router.

Your local IP address should be 192.168.0.x
      and the default gateway should be 192.168.0.1

Amaboknaai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276 Camberley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Smile ipconfig and all....

TripodJW

You can also try and "ping the gateway" (the router, in this instance) by running the following command from the command line (this tells you whether you are connected to your router, or not.

ping 192.168.0.1

This should return information that it is working (if you get a timed out response like this, then summat is wrong:
      C:\>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

If you get a response like this:
      C:\>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

then you are connecting fine to your router and should be able to login to the router via your Web Browser (if the previously mentioned proxy has been disabled - had it been there at all....)

It might just be useful to bear in mind that when running IPCONFIG /ALL, what you are displaying is the last IP address that your computer has in its stack. In order to obtain a new IP address, take note of the one that has been displayed by running IPCONFIG /ALL (not case sensitive) and the "default gateway" IP address and then running

ipconfig /release

This does what is says on the tin...it releases any IP address information from you TCP stack

Then run

ipconfig /renew

This will contact your DHCP server (which should be your router) and request a new leased IP address and attempt to load it into your TCP stack.

Then run

ipconfig /all

and see if you have obtained any differing details from the results of your initial ipconfig /all test.

If yes, then you you have now obtained a new and valid IP address, if not, then you are receiving the same IP address - not too sure if this makes sense to you.

rinse and repeat....

Barry

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wow detailed test info. Thanks. Will print all of the above and follow to the letter (and hope my computer programmer husband knows all about this - which i'm sure he does, i just want to make sure i have all the info i can get before i go to an internet-less house)

Jane

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

First off, a huge thanks to all suggestions and help. You've been brilliant, sites like this are one of the reasons i love the internet as there are some really helpful and friendly people out there.

Anyway, have got router working it seems lan was on a static ip address, and once that was sorted everything including wireless started working.

So thanks guys.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by tripodjw View Post
      )

I'm just trying to get as much info to test as much stuff as i can when i get in - as obviously i can't access internet at home - as i can't get into sky

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming if you've got any

Has your pc got one of those free AOL dial up trials on it? If so I would try and set that up so at least you can seek support and solace albeit slowly, while you figure this out

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I used my sky router to connect to my old isp - the connection is ok, but it locks up now and then and i have to reboot. Others seem to have this problem as well even using the sky connection. I think there may be a problem with sky's Netgear DG834GT

The problem manifests itself by the sudden inability to display the gateway icon (XP) sometimes it shows others it doesn't - looking through google on this problem it seems like it is most likely a fault in the router software somewhere and has it has been mentioned for sky's firmware as well. Using netgears firmware will not fix it either as that is what i'm using.

As it seem like there is no need to spoof mac address using a different router i will be using my linksys WAG54GS for skys connection once i am connected, it syncs 100k higher as well. I'm supposed to be connected by the 11th but no sign of it yet!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well I am now connected to sky - my netgear keeps dropping the connection so i've reverted to using my own router and so far the connection is fine no drops. interstingly the netgear synced at 4.8 and my other router at 3.8 so i think the unstable connection is due to netgear syncing too high (possibly) but then again it dropped on my old isp conne3ction as well. now i do not know what to do as in theory i am breaking the terms and conditions but if i don't i dont get a decent connection - otherwise the service seems great so far.

does adsl2+ have a training period, ie will sync be lowered if the connection keeps dropping.

otherwise i suppose i better say my router is naff and get them to send another one.
      Last edited by dingdong; 11-09-06 at 01:07 PM.

Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      As I have had drops every day since getting Sky I can say on my set up:

The noise margin slowly drops from 7db to under 4db when this happend I need to reboot. The modem then resyncs at a lower Mb so that the noise margin is 7db again. This may have to be repeated several times until the N/M stays above 4db.

The modem syncs to a defines N/M each time it is booted. There is no training period like on ADSL/ADSL2.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      problem is mine doesn't seem to reboot it just seems to freeze. or do you have to reboot manually. i take it the manual reboot is power of and on again?
      Last edited by dingdong; 11-09-06 at 01:39 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast