Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router dead

This is a discussion on Router dead within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I have a problem with my router, I had reset it and it was rebooting, in the process ...

peepsw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router dead

Hi all, I have a problem with my router, I had reset it and it was rebooting, in the process of rebooting the power got disconnected. The router now will not show the power light. If I plug it in the 1-4 lights flash on, then go out but no power light. If I plug the patch cable and connect it to my pc I get a connection light but no power light and I cannot access the router from my browser using 192.168.0.1. I have tried to reset it again but nothing happens.

Can anyone help please?

Peter

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Router dead

Have you tried holding the reset button down(little hole round the back) for at least 10 seconds, its supposed to reset the router to its factory settings.

peepsw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes I have tried to rest it, and it does nothing.

Peter

Sephiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanley
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's odd, my router died about two hours after doing a reset. Perhaps resetting causes problems with it.

Unfortunately I have been waiting two weeks for my replacement router, it's really bugging me now. Sky keep saying it's coming within X days but it doesn't.

Jimbo1960 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hornchurch
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Peter,
      There is a router recovery application available on the Netgear site. You should also find information on how to use it on these forums. It can be used to re-install the firmware either to the SKY provided version which i believe is on the CD that came with the router (Can't confirm this as my router hasn't been delivered yet ) or to the latest available from Netgear.
      Depending upon how dead the router is, you will;
      a) End up with a door stop.
      b) End up with a functioning router but no username/password (internet access)
      c) Be back online with a revived router.
      Good luck

PS: If you try the recovery application don't forget to hold in the reset button when turning the router on.

Jimbo1960 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hornchurch
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sephiroth,
      Call 0845 515515, option 5 gets you to CS (in Scotland I think). If the replacment has been authorised, it should be dispatched the next day. Once dispatched you can get them to give you a Parcel Force tracking number.

After an 8 day wait (for a "data fix") I have now been told my router is in Coventry, I have my tracking number and expect to see it tomorrow.

PS: After a few days wait, I gave up and borrowed a friends (SKY) router. They seem to hold generic logon details that aren't specific to your account.

Sephiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanley
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's the number I use but it seems to get nowhere. The last phonecall I made was yesterday afternoon where I was told my router is with the courier and will definitely be here this week. If it doesn't come tomorrow I won't be happy, because then I'll be waiting until next week. I'll try get a tracking number when I call tomorrow. I'll give it until 3pm. I don't have a friend with Sky unfortunately. I'm currently connecting via free AOL dialup software and it's awful.