Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting Sky Router to Second Router!

This is a discussion on Connecting Sky Router to Second Router! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've surprised myself by (apparently) successfully connecting my old (2wire) router behind my new Sky router. Why even try? I ...

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Connecting Sky Router to Second Router!

I've surprised myself by (apparently) successfully connecting my old (2wire) router behind my new Sky router.

Why even try? I hear you ask....Well....

The wireless coverage from the old router was much better than from the Sky router which (try as I might) I haven't been able to improve (I've tried dedicated range extenders and high-gain aerials etc to no avail). By piggy-backing (technical term!) my old router behind the Sky one however I am able to get Sky broadband throughout the house wirelessly, encrypted and stable.

While the wireless coverage is wide and stable using this approach the speed is reduced from that achieved when the signal is taken direct from the Sky router I suspect this is because of my amateurish approach to IP settings in the second router etc.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I might improve the "flow" of the wireless signal using this rather Heath-Robinson approach or any pointers as to where I might ask??

Thanks in anticipation for any response and to all for a great forum

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Connecting Sky Router to Second Router!

One of the reasons wireless is a bit slower than direct wire is the need for encryption. If your router supports it, try setting it up to only accept your own equipments MAC addresses and turn off the encryption. I have never actually tried this, but I have seen it recommended elsewhere. It would be interesting to know if it does improve the speed.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thanks Isitme - sorry if I wasn't clear.

Encrypted wireless direct from the Sky/Netgear router is much quicker than encrypted wireless which has been put through the 2Wire (from the Sky/Netgear).

Something in the 2wire is slowing it up I believe so I'm trying to find out what it might be. Intuition suggests IP settings etc.

Thanks anyway.

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am not exactly clear how it is working. You have configured the 2wire as a repeater?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davefaz View Post
      I am not exactly clear how it is working. You have configured the 2wire as a repeater?
      Thanks for your interest davefaz - since posting I've managed to get some advice from 2Wire Support which has helped me to better configure the 2Wire router to work as a subsidiary (repeater?) to the Netgear. This means that, for me, the problems is now sorted.

The broadband now comes in through the Netgear and is passed on by a short ethernet lead to the 2Wire which then broadcasts a wireless signal to the PCs. While there is still some loss of speed its worth it for the stability/strength/range of the wireless signal which I've never been able to get from the Netgear itself. - Wish we didn't have to use the Netgear at all!

Thanks folks

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh, ok, so you are just using the 2wire as an access point.

You don't have to use the Sky. If you use the "extraction utility" on this web site, you can get the username and password from the sky box and then use it with any other make of modem. I personally use a Netgear DP111M which is a modem only, so then I can then use the much more powerfull Netgear WG302 wireless access point.

Make sure you switch off the wireless in the Netgear, or that may be what is slowing things down a bit.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davefaz View Post
      Oh, ok, so you are just using the 2wire as an access point.

You don't have to use the Sky. If you use the "extraction utility" on this web site, you can get the username and password from the sky box and then use it with any other make of modem. I personally use a Netgear DP111M which is a modem only, so then I can then use the much more powerfull Netgear WG302 wireless access point.

Make sure you switch off the wireless in the Netgear, or that may be what is slowing things down a bit.

Thanks davefaz - I have turned off the Netgear wireless and think I'll stick with where I am now for a bit! - its great just having everything working again and no complaints from the household about wireless connections just dropping as they did before. Maybe once I've got my breathe back I'll try something a bit more adventurous so thanks for the pointers.