Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Router details

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Router details within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; FWIW - my experiences with signing up for Sky Broadband: I thought when you provided a MAC Code the transition ...

flybynight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01453
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cool Re: Sky Broadband Router details

FWIW - my experiences with signing up for Sky Broadband:

I thought when you provided a MAC Code the transition was seamless. In my case my BT Broadband was cut off, but my Sky Broadband wasn't connected. My Router arrived but when plugged in the lights wouldn't light up. When I phoned Sky they wouldn't do anything until the Sky Service was connected. I tried phoning Customer Service instead of technical help, but that didn't work, so I waited the 3 days out.

Once the service was connected Sky went go through the trouble shooting process. Within 4 hours we established that the router didn't work. They replaced it within 3 days. The replacement router worked easily.

I'm currently waiting for replies to the query I raised below. In the meantime if anyone can point me in the direction of how to access the router I would be very grateful.

<HR>

1) I used to have a D-Link DSL-G604T Router. When I replaced it with your Netgear DG834GT my Wireless Signal Strength dropped from 100% to 40%. Whilst it does work providing I keep within 20m of the router the signal degradation doesn't seem acceptable.

2) When I tried to access the Router's Web Interface in order to set fixed IP addresses for my Printer & NAS the standard login of admin & password for the DG834GT doesn't work

3) When I tried to download a film from Sky Anytime I got the message: Error Code -16 - this is to do with logging in from a different PC. Firstly - I was accessing Anytime from the same PC that I had used to sign up for the service from a few minutes earlier, so this seems a strange message. Secondly the whole reason for having a router is that you can use one of several PCs to access the internet.

4) Since installing Sky Anytime my Spyware s/w (Spybot) has been going bonkers with alarms about changes to my registry. I have allowed all these changes as I realise that you wouldn't be using your software to report information on my computer usage, but as it is annoying & continuing, would I be better replacing my Anti-Spyware with that you have supplied? Will yours stop triggering alarms & ignore the registry changes?

2. Advertisement
      Chaos66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSBEX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Smile Re: Sky Broadband Router details

1) I used to have a D-Link DSL-G604T Router. When I replaced it with your Netgear DG834GT my Wireless Signal Strength dropped from 100% to 40%. Whilst it does work providing I keep within 20m of the router the signal degradation doesn't seem acceptable.

tried moving the areial or changing the channel on the router ?

2) When I tried to access the Router's Web Interface in order to set fixed IP addresses for my Printer & NAS the standard login of admin & password for the DG834GT doesn't work

the DG834GT login details are sky admin or its admin sky

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Router details

User name is admin, password sky. Same on all routers sent out to customers. As to installation and activation dates we are at BTs mercy on some counts for that and seamless transitions sometimes cannot happen.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos66 View Post

tried moving the areial or changing the channel on the router ?

I've actually got an aerial enhancer, unfortunately it has a male connection, as does the router, so I need to find somewhere that stocks male/female connectors - any suggestions?

Does changing the channel improve the signal?

I'd be surprised that moving the aerial will improve the signal 150%! I suppose what I really want to identify is whether the router is faulty, or it's just that the Sky Router has particularly weak wireless signal. I expect if I can get my head round it I can use the old Router as a wireless access point to extend the range.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Idea?

Perhaps this should be updated to include the new routers??

-Fibre.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      As to installation and activation dates we are at BTs mercy on some counts for that and seamless transitions sometimes cannot happen.
      Thank you for sticking your head above the parapet, I bet you find it a thankless task sometimes! In this particular case I am certain that any gap was because of Sky, they wrote & gave me a date for the changeover & BT's service stopped at midday on that date. I guess what annoyed me was the institutionised bloody-mindedness about not being prepared to accept that the router didn't work until the ADSL line was connected.

I'm not anti-Sky, I think that you have done a number of things very well, & actually this is the 2nd Broadband Service I have opened with Sky just because the 1st one has been going so very well, so actually I am a satisfied customer, & repeat business.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flybynight View Post
      Does changing the channel improve the signal?

I'd be surprised that moving the aerial will improve the signal 150%! I suppose what I really want to identify is whether the router is faulty, or it's just that the Sky Router has particularly weak wireless signal. I expect if I can get my head round it I can use the old Router as a wireless access point to extend the range.
      you can get an aerial booster on ebay.co.uk, or just try and move the aerial around
      Last edited by Saturday; 01-12-07 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Chaos66, You need to put [quote] before the "Does changin..." for you quote to work..

Thanks

before the "Does changin..." for you quote to work..
      Cheers FirbeOptic, must of looked a bit confusing sorry about that !!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos66 View Post
      you can get an aerial booster on ebay.co.uk, or just try and move the aerial around
      You must have been right as my signal is suddenly back up to 100% !

However I would be interested in Paul's reaction to this .......

Having filled in the Customer Website Webform I got an e-Mail that says:

=========================================
      Improvements to our Email Service - Your action required

We need you to re-submit your message via our website, using a webform which you can access from this link: http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/kana.
      Once you have submitted the Web Form, we'll get back to you as quickly as possible. (Your original message will not have been received)

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast