Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Router details

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Router details within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Early reports suggest no username or password needed or shown in router. This may indicate authentication is by MAC code, ...

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Early reports suggest no username or password needed or shown in router. This may indicate authentication is by MAC code, so a bit of cloning and any router might work.
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

2. Advertisement
      Skygazing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scarborough MYSCA
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Tks LNB and SkyDish. Will watch out for any postings regarding using the DG834G rather than the DG834GT.

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

just got this from customer support....

Sky Broadband is only for use with the Sky Broadband Box provided free with all broadband products and any other router not specified by Sky cannot be used with this service. The make and model of the Sky Broadband Box used is a Netgear DG834GT which has been customised for Sky. Please note that this is not the same as the retail model of Netgear routers sold on stores and this is why your currently router could not be used.
      just a standard reply
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Tks SatDish. What do you make of " and any other router not specified by Sky cannot be used with this service."

"not specified by sky" - does this mean there is a list of compatable routers?

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'm not really sure about that something for the future perhaps..? but like LNB said if you have a router that can MAC spoof then you might be able to use that, but if its free and better then the one you got ( i know its better then my one) why not use it and put the old beast on ebay,
      as they are saying you got to use there equipment then there not much hope for a discounted connection I'm afraid .
      "To help would be a great adventure"

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Skygazing View Post
      Getting a bit confused here chaps. Will Sky be dishing out (excuse pun) the
      DG834GT or the DG834G. Reason I ask is because I already have a DG834G and was hoping that I could get Sky to waive the 40 quid or so Connection/Application fee as I dont need their router.

Hi Skygazing, you get the DG834GT as it has there firmware, and its wireless, however if you only have a netword card in your pc, it will still work.

HAve u signed up to it yet?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Mmmm - might have to be a rethink then. I've only had this DG834G for a couple of months, so am a bit reluctant to get rid of it. Besides my exchange is not LLU'd yet (could be 12 months away). Will have to watch developments of the b/band rollout to see if everything goes smoothly. If it does then I might bite the bullet and save myself 7.99 a month.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      rumour has it some staff have visited already (and are fully aware of this site) so we can always ask them for you.

Big brother will get back to you

even saving 7.99 is about 7 months for you to get the cost back of the router you have, one or two rumours of been able to spoof the mac of the router (although unconfirmed), which basically means you could use any router. However we cannot say a definitive yes, you can use your own router.

At the end of the day, i personnally feel SKY BB is gonna stitch the other ISP's up, on staff, roll out and general excellent product range. I would not abandon it yet!

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Hi Skygazing, you get the DG834GT as it has there firmware, and its wireless, however if you only have a netword card in your pc, it will still work.

HAve u signed up to it yet?
      Hi NewsreadeR - if by signed up you mean I have my MAC code ready - then no.

I registered an interest a couple of weeks ago and received an email to the effect that all that is available to me is the Sky Connect service.
      At 17 a month that would be a saving of 7.99 a month which aint bad.

What worries me is all the horror stories of late regarding new broadband services - no names -.

Looks like my best option might be to sit on the fence and see how the rollout goes. Or then again I could move house to an area that has LLU - could prove expensive tho eh?

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      At 17 a month that would be a saving of 7.99 a month which aint bad.
      7.99 a month saving has got to be good!

as for the horror stories, i assume you mean Plusnet / Tiscali? To put it in persepctive SKY have more than 10x the value of Plusnet as a company available for advertising alone.

SKY have been around for years, and despite the high cost of SKY tv, have an excellent reputation. The fact that they now offer BB as well, can only mean good things for the users. The future is the internet, TV on demand, etc, and all SKY are doing is gearing up for this. BT have not got the infilstructure to compete, and very few big players have the resources or instinctiveness to dominate the market.

Sky are gonna do just this and the fact that you can save 7.99 for the sake of a phone call /email, shows the valu imho.

I cannot get get LLU until December 2006, however i can save 39.95 in the meantime and get far more than my existing ISP can offer me. (and i get a free router - although the same as i already have)

Sit on the fence, for a while, then decide what is best for you, as more and more people sign up and share their experiences, we can all only learn, and make more informed decisions.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast