Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Please diagnose this insanely frustrating problem

This is a discussion on Please diagnose this insanely frustrating problem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am at a loss to what this problem could be, I'm thinking (after months and months of it happening) ...

jayyyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Trentside (Nottingham)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Please diagnose this insanely frustrating problem

I am at a loss to what this problem could be, I'm thinking (after months and months of it happening) it is a dodgy router, so I am posting up my stats for you to look at just for confirmation, but first, let me just explain my symptoms.

Out of the blue, my connection will drop, then reconnect, then drop, then reconnect, then drop, then reconnect, then drop, then reconnect.

Whilst typing this post the error occured! So I made a screen grab

On disconnection I get:

then a second later..

Connection:

This happens over and over for about 15 seconds. Then the connection eventually goes back to normal (once I have exited IExplorer, and started it again a couple of times)

It is not the socket (I am going direct into the test)
      It is not the wireless (I am going direct into ethernet)
      It is not the filter (I have tried all supplied, and the filter faceplate)
      It is not the line (confirmed by BT)
      It is not the UPNP (The error happened even when UPNP was turned off)
      It is not a capping issue (Sky capped my downstream at 9 even though my line is capable of 12)

This is a fault that is totally inconsistent, I can go days without it occurring, and then have a spate of it (as I am experiencing now, as I type!)

It does seem to happen more when using p2p (lots of activity), but even still, it also happens when I am not even browsing the internet (for example, whilst using Word, or writing this post).

I don't know whether I notice it more psychologically during p2p because it is obviously very annoyed when mid download I get a dropped line and lose my place.

However, when it does happen, it occurs in exactly that way: quickly disconnecting/reconnecting.

So what do you think? A faulty router? Anyone else experienced this? My stats are at the bottom of the page.

Should I be pressing Sky for a new router, if so, what is the best way to go about this? (so they don't try and palm me off with some useless reboot / reset b*ll*cks)

I was lucky enough for the problem to arise whilst on the phone to Sky tech support, yet they could not detect anything during the occurence (I'm not sure they even have that kind of monitoring ability anyway).

Regardless of all this, as soon as it goes back to normal, there is no error reporting through the router diagnostics / menu. So, unless I haven't found a sub menu that logs all the activity, I can't see what the router sees when the problem arises.

Please, just please, I hope someone else has had this problem and solved it.

I'm on my knees here, I look forward to your thoughts.

Here are my stats, cheers, and thanks for reading.

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 396 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9822 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 15.4 24.0
      Attn(dB): 29.5 17.6
      Pwr(dBm): 0.7 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 17460 496
      Rate (Kbps): 9822 396
      G.dmt framing
      K: 239(0) 13
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 77 68
      B: 238 12
      M: 1 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 0.7753 7.7419
      L: 2631 124
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 10376 10374
      SFErr: 0 1
      RS: 861284 88179
      RSCorr: 12 0
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 3859113 151971
      Data Cells: 425 210
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 0 1
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 14 16
      Total time = 3 min 6 sec
      SF = 10376
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 1 day time = 3 min 6 sec
      SF = 10376
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 15 minutes time = 3 min 6 sec
      SF = 10376
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Please diagnose this insanely frustrating problem

Do you have a wirless card at all to try a wirless connection as it's the ethernet connection that is dropping.

It could be a dodgy router, or a dodgy network card.

Without sounding stupid, have you tried making sure the ethernet cable is properly plugged in (or take it out and put it back in again).

I had a similar problem and it was that the cable wasn't seated in teh hole properly.

Also you could try plugging it into one of the other 3 ports on the router in case it is a dodgy socket om the router.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation Re: Please diagnose this insanely frustrating problem

Actually yes, one thing I left off my unreasonably long 1st post was about what you said.

I have tried the various sockets on the router, jangled them about to make sure they are in properly. Also I have two ethernet ports on my Nforce4 Asus motherboard, tried them both, with the error happening indiscriminately on both ports.

Also, I have had this computer now for nearly a year and a half with two different modems and ISPs and have never had this problem. All sockets are free of dust.

However, something new happened earlier that I forgot to mention:

After the connection/disconnection errors earlier in the day, I walked away in disgust only to come back to my computer and find a new error I believe directly related to this (that may shed some light on the matter).

The small (2 screens) icon in the bottom right system tray had a yellow triangle "!" warning mark on it.

The message was "you have limited connectivity" and it had a message about "something" not being able to assign me "something" - I can't quite remember exactly what it was.

The interesting part was that I was able to connect to the internet via my laptop wirelessly during this period. To get the connection working on my desktop again, I unplugged the power cables and phone cables, and then back in.

Please bear in mind that whenever the router disconnects, the laptop loses its connection too.

It was just that on this one occasion, the router had reconnected and was cool wirelessly, but the desktop (ethernet connected) had not picked up the reconnection and was showing the warning sign, only remedied by the steps I mentioned earlier.

How does this affect things in your mind?

Surely if the wireless loses its connectivity at the same time as the disconnection error, it can't be the ethernet port? It must be an error happening before this point.

By the way, I haven't had a single disconnection whilst writing this post, whereas I had about 10 instances of it happening during my writing of the initial post.

....I spoke too soon, there it goes again.... "select all / copy"

Thanks for the reply..

Cheers

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ahh, sounds like an IP conflict.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but it sounds as thou maybe the laptop and desktop are trying to obtain the same IP address from the router.

Many ways around this. One is to go to a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and obtain the MAC address of the desktop and then the same for the laptop and then assign a static IP address to these MAC addresses in the router admin pages.

And check the advanced LAN options (under internet options) and make sure both are set to obtain IP address automatically.

Its possible that the laptop is set to (say) always grab 192.168.0.2 and the desktop to get it automatically. now if the desktop is on and has grabbed 192.168.0.2 automatically and you then boot up the laptop you will have a conflict (the yellow triangle with ! mark) as the laptop will always try to get 192.168.0.2.

Obviously if your disconnections are happening when both laptop and desktop are on (or when only one is on an you are not trying to boot the other), then the above theory wont hold true.
      Last edited by reddwarfcrew; 08-04-07 at 02:16 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ps i'm not an expert the stats, but yours look pretty damn good.

I doubt you need to be capped to 9Mb and you definitely shouldn't have your upstream capped by 50%.

The stats for your problem thou are generally irrelevant as the problem is with the pc connection to the router not the connection of the router to the exchange.

Exchange:
      Thanks

one last thing, have you tried a different ethernet cable in case your's has become damaged?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies dude..

I think I'll try a different ethernet cable and cross yet another thing of the long list of things that could be causing the problem.

The IP thing I think is not the problem as I have assigned the range to be 192.168.0.5+ (as per the guides on this site)

Thus my desktop is always 192.168.0.5 and thus the laptop is higher than that today it was 192.168.0.6, and the other day 192.168.0.8

Anyways, its always assigning okay.

Yes, I live about 500 yards from the exchange, it is a 16meg enabled exchange and my line can handle 12meg down and 768kb up, and in my inexperienced opinion everything should be cool.

This is the crazy thing - my stats are fly, except for this damn connection/disconnection issue, which is totally unrelated to speed (I assume)

I don't know why the hell Sky have decided to screw around with my capping, I only found out about it the other day, and I was on the phone to them straight away to put it back up.. I think they thought it may solve the connection dilemma I'm having..

I'll try the new ethernet cable idea, if you (or anyone else) comes up with any other ideas, please let me know..

Cheers

silverfox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Washington
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have seen this message before and it has always happened when I have powered down/up the router. When this errors occurs, can you see if the lights on the front of the router are flashing in a different way to normal. This model of Netgear router needs to sit on its end to cool the box and also the power supply has had problems in the past.

It may not be the answer but it is a possibility.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Someone else had this problem?! I am not alone..

From the very beginning of owning the router, I have kept it on its side, it doesn't stop it from getting quite hot though.

I'll keep an eye out for what happens with the LEDs when the error occurs again, from memory though, all the lights go dead, then flash up, then go dead, then flash up (in sync with the disconnection / reconnection)

I unplugged my router for the whole night so it'll be interesting to see how it operates over the next few hours.

Cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is another thing you can try, that is to turn off the DHCP server on the router and apply manual addresses to the PC and laptop, if you set the PC to 192.168.0.2 and the laptop to 3, you will not get conflicts. One other thing to check is that your wireless security is set up properly to prevent others accessing your network.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast