Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Please diagnose this insanely frustrating problem

This is a discussion on Please diagnose this insanely frustrating problem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi this could be because you lan on your mobo or card in the comp has a faulty chipset or ...

bobmacwos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: southend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Please diagnose this insanely frustrating problem

hi this could be because you lan on your mobo or card in the comp has a faulty chipset or it dont get the signal or rthe router aint talking to it with the proper signal ie router malfunctioning try another lan card ??/

2. Advertisement
      jayyyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Trentside (Nottingham)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, I don't think it is the LAN chipset as I assume the error would have occurred when using different ISPs / modems, I have had the PC about a year and a half, and this problem has only ever occured with this router / isp.

Previously I was using

Plusnet ISP/ Netgear DG834
      Plusnet ISP/ Linksys ADSL2MUE

..and I had no problems. That Linksys was a bag of $hit though - didn't even have port forwarding!

I think the problem lies with the router, and judging from various forum postings, this does seem like a troublesome router, and it could be any number of things from the power supply to admin settings that cause the f*ck up.

I guess most routers are troublesome peripherals anyway, regardless of make. Just the nature of them, and the changeable enviroment within they operate I reckon.

However, since turning off DCHP and manually assigning IPs, everything seems cool.

If this was the cause of all my issues (which I'm still uncertain of, I'm playing wait and see) the next question is, why include a feature that breaks the modem, eh NETGEAR?

Thanks for all your help guys (for the time being atleast )

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

just a random idea could the plug socket be a problem????

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If this was the cause of all my issues (which I'm still uncertain of, I'm playing wait and see) the next question is, why include a feature that breaks the modem, eh NETGEAR?
      If using manual settings solves the problem it points to the DHCP server being faulty. I don't think this is a common fault, as most are able to connect with no problems. It could possibly be the chipset in you NICs that have a compatibility problem with the router, but this is unlikely.

What you can try, if you like, is to turn on the server and go back to the automatic settings, you may find that it works without problems. If it doesn't, you can always go back to the manual settings. I think you will agree, when you have done it once, it is easy to do again.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, I agree it is easy to change between manual and automatic IP's, just fear of the unknown as I had never done it before..

RickyC, when you say plug socket, do you mean AC power socket, Ethernet plug, or faceplate plug socket?

I think I can count out the AC and faceplate as I am going into test line, and have tried various faceplates and filters.

Anyway, after having nearly a day of it being alright, it decided to screw up again. Same error.

I'll try and capture it malfunctioning and post it up somehow.

I'm not sure why it should be a compatibilty problem when my computer was cool with the previous DG834 modem I was using via ethernet on Plusnet.

I guess most modems are built differently

Cheers for your help

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

*update*

Ok, I kept on getting the disconnections at random intervals.

However, today, it has been so randomly bad (happening every 5 minutes), that it was relatively easy to make a video capture of the error occurring.

By the way, I tried both the ethernet ports, the Marvell Yukon, and the N4force. Both exhibit the same problem.

Hopefully by looking at the videos, people might be able to say for sure whether the fault is modem based or not.

I will hopefully be borrowing someone elses modem soon, so I will be able to totally rule the modem out of the equation.

But first, please check the video. I made 2 videos, each 1 minute long, the top one starts automatically.

They are both seperate incidents.

Enjoy the lightshow!

Click here for Video
      Last edited by jayyyb; 11-04-07 at 09:23 PM.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Well that will save me going to blackpool illuminations this year!

That's gotta be a busted router in my opinion.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, I am now fairly certain it is either the router or the cable.

I plugged the ethernet into my laptop ethernet port (disabling the wireless) to check that it wasn't my desktop causing the problems.

For a while everything was fine, and I was dreading the prospect of checking the various components on my computer, but then it happened, disconnection.

Now, so far, it seems to happen less frequently (on the laptop), however, going back to the video I posted...

As you can see, the 'Power' light went out. What does this suggest to you? Reboot, lack of power (faulty supply) or a f*cked modem?

Obviously, the next port of call would be to borrow someone elses modem to see what happens.

But what I guess I'm really asking, is, my computer can't be causing this can it? (please...) This, to me would be a much bigger ball-ache than a busted router that I can replace.

Could my computer possibly be responsible for the router rebooting itself? (...erm by ..sending weird signals down the ethernet cable?? )

Could the router settings be responsible? (having ditched DCHP, but not UPNP)

Could my line be responsible? (no faults reported, also look at my cfg file posted earlier in the thread)

Faulty power?

So, if you think it is the router, how best do you think I tackle Sky to hit them up for a new one?

I can't be a$$ed with them reading through a checklist of 'solutions that isn't going to be anything that I haven't already done.

I heard someone recommend to say that it won't power up (none of the lights come on) and they send you a new one fairly sharpish..

what do you reckon is the best (quickest) method?

Cheers for sticking around

bobmacwos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: southend
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Again
      Sorry You Still Got Problems
      Have You Got At Least A 400 Watt Power Supply And A Surge Protector
      You Say You Got Two Lans On Your Mobo The Marvel And The Other One Is Your Mobo A Nvidia If So Its Got A Firewall Built Into It This Could Stop You As You Have One On The Mobo And One In The Router Plus Any Software Firewalls You Have Installed
      The Netgear Must Be Used Withs It Feet As It Overheats And Can Cause Flickering On The Monitor

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Seeing the vid, I'm convinced the router is plain and simply broke nothing mor nothing less.

If you use mognuts utility in my sig you can extract the username and password. Then borrow somebody elses router just to prove is really is the router.

As for getting a replacement, you'll have to go through the pain of phoning them I'm afraid and face that checklist.

Otherwise simply buy yourself your own router, but beware this would officially break the t&cs of your contract.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast