Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New High Speed Wireless Router for Sky

This is a discussion on New High Speed Wireless Router for Sky within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Spoke to Sky Technical and they indicated that the revised (and faster/long range) 802.11n netgear router will be the standard ...

chrisleigh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01257
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New High Speed Wireless Router for Sky

Spoke to Sky Technical and they indicated that the revised (and faster/long range) 802.11n netgear router will be the standard router from somtime in april/may

So my advice is wait if you are thinking of ordering now or at least confirm you will get the improved router.

Perhaps this will ultimitely lead to sky including networking connection in their receivers so they can monitor what we are watching. That could really help with confirming their advertising revenues. They could also determine how many users skip the ads with sky+..... or maybe they wont want to know that.

2. Advertisement
      davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: New High Speed Wireless Router for Sky

I am curious about that, because the only current Netgear that supports "n" is the rather smart DG834N, but this is somewhat out of the price range of Sky ( about 100 ).

I would have expected any upgrade to be to the cheaper DG834PN, which is faster and has greater range than the current offering, but is a bit cheaper than the "top of the range model" at 70, but this does not support "n".

So, it is interesting to see which and what it will be!!

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It will most likely be the faster option. Hoping everyone will keep the router next to their + & HD boxes for Anytime and with the increase Wireless range, More people using the wirelesses instead.

Dunno, Hope it is the new one expensiver one and then old customers get an upgrade aswell

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I wouldn't put it too close. The transmitter in a router interferes with the Sky box. Causes your "signal strength" to fluctuate.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It will be something like that thou, As an average ethernet/Cat5 cable (supplied - 1.5m) So the router will still effect the box

chrisleigh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01257
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: New High Speed Wireless Router for Sky

Quote Originally Posted by davefaz View Post
      I am curious about that, because the only current Netgear that supports "n" is the rather smart DG834N, but this is somewhat out of the price range of Sky ( about 100 ).

I would have expected any upgrade to be to the cheaper DG834PN, which is faster and has greater range than the current offering, but is a bit cheaper than the "top of the range model" at 70, but this does not support "n".

So, it is interesting to see which and what it will be!!
      From [url=http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk] current model DG834GT is 60.85 ex vat and DG834n (802.11n) is 75.35. Given that Sky will probably get 40 to 60% discount given the qty they buy and also given that Netgear will discontinue the old model I doubt there will be any difference in price.

With a link to a receiver they could then stream HD to other rooms in a house or onto a PC etc etc. Could anybody in the know comment. ?

Surely if I can just dial tech support and find this out it cant be too much of a secret.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What's the real point of a better router?

If the existing one is connected via ethernet then there isn't any benefit.

And as for wirless..... your set up is only as good as the WEAKEST link. Even netgears own media streamer (EVA8000 - NETGEAR.com) doesn't support the 'n' protocols and just plain 'g'.

Do any of the games consoles support 'n'? How many new laptops even come with built in 'n'?

lazygamer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cross Gates
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Do any of the games consoles support 'n'? How many new laptops even come with built in 'n'?
      The PS3 and Wii have built in B/G. The PSP and DS both have built in B.
      The 360 however is not wireless by default and uses a USB add-on (that supports A/B/G). As such there is always the possibility of a new B/G/N USB add-on for the 360. Long story short: no, none of them do really

More and more laptops are increasingly using N, one example is every Apple Macbook/Macbook Pro/iMac uses N spec Airport.

At least if it is the Netgear DG834N they use, it's a well-received (great reviews all round), sexy (for a router) piece of kit. Even though its antennae are internal, it's been reviewed as having fantastic range, even if it's not the fastest N router around.

PS: Don't hurt me, 1st post I'm still waiting for Sky to switch me to their service, and they better get their act together as Pipex cut me off on the 10th!
      Last edited by lazygamer; 04-04-07 at 02:57 PM. Reason: 1st post!

Tonytronic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMBPZ
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi (my first post!).

For what it's worth, I bought a Netgear DG834N a month ago to replace the supplied SKY DG834GT.
      I don't actually use the wireless in it for the 3 PC's using it - they all use the Ethernet wired connections, though I plan to use the wireless in the near future.
      I replaced the original SKY unit because it kept dropping my connection speed from around 11.8Mbit/s to less than 1Kbit/s - effectively a lost connection, that could only be restored by a reboot.
      I tried the Mossy tool to perform automatic resets - it worked, but in doing so it showed just how regularly it occurred. I suspected the router. I took a risk, and bought the Netgear DG834N. I ripped the username/password out of the SKY standard router and wrote it into the new one - bingo!
      It worked well straight away, but I noticed the firmware was out of date.
      I updated the firmware to the latest for the Netgear DG834N as available on the NETGEAR website just in case, as they say.
      This was an expensive router, but... here's the payback - it has now been on-line for over 4 weeks WITH NO DROPOUTS, NO SPEED REDUCTIONS - just a steady, stable connection at ~11.9Mbit/s (and that's with a calculated line length of 2.5Km, which is spot on).

This little 'experiment' was addmittedly risky, but I found it well worthwhile.
      It proves (SFAIC) that the SKY standard router has some kind of firmware problem (I'm discounting it being the hardware - the Netgear's own version doesn't have this problem - or so I'm assured by others who 'know').
      I've kept the original SKY router unchanged and retain it, just in case SKY notice (remotely) something's not quite right about my router...

I have tried the wireless connection briefly - it's got very good range.
      Why the Netgear DG834N ? Well I thought if I'm going to replace the original with something worthwhile, and keep to the same brand, then this was the obvious one to choose.
      It looks like SKY may be considering the same change...!?

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Funny I aint heard nothing about a revised netgear N router, its very unlikely